Definitions for pastpæst, pɑst
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word past
past, past times, yesteryear(noun)
the time that has elapsed
"forget the past"
a earlier period in someone's life (especially one that they have reason to keep secret)
"reporters dug into the candidate's past"
past, past tense(adj)
a verb tense that expresses actions or states in the past
earlier than the present time; no longer current
"time past"; "his youth is past"; "this past Thursday"; "the past year"
past(a), preceding(a), retiring(a)(adverb)
of a person who has held and relinquished a position or office
"a retiring member of the board"
so as to pass a given point
"every hour a train goes past"
The period of time that has already happened, in contrast to the present and the future.
The past tense.
in a direction that passes
I watched him walk past
Having already happened; in the past; finished.
Following expressions of time to indicate how long ago something happened; ago.
Of a period of time: having just gone by; previous.
during the past year
Of a tense, expressing action that has already happened or a previously-existing state.
beyond in place, quantity or time
of or pertaining to a former time or state; neither present nor future; gone by; elapsed; ended; spent; as, past troubles; past offences
a former time or state; a state of things gone by
beyond, in position, or degree; further than; beyond the reach or influence of
beyond, in time; after; as, past the hour
above; exceeding; more than
by; beyond; as, he ran past
Origin: [From Pass, v.]
The past is a term used to indicate the totality of events which occurred before a given point in time. The past is contrasted with and defined by the present and the future. The concept of the past is derived from the linear fashion in which human observers experience time, and is accessed through memory and recollection. In addition, human beings have recorded the past since the advent of written language. The past is the object of such fields as history, archaeology, archaeoastronomy, chronology, geology, historical geology, historical linguistics, law, ontology, paleontology, paleobotany, paleoethnobotany, palaeogeography, paleoclimatology, and cosmology.
Chambers 20th Century Dictionary
past, pa.p. of Pass.—adj. gone by: elapsed: ended: now retired from service: in time already passed.—prep. farther than: out of reach of: no longer capable of.—adv. by.—The past, that which has passed, esp. time.
British National Corpus
Spoken Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'past' in Spoken Corpus Frequency: #1133
Written Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'past' in Written Corpus Frequency: #521
Rank popularity for the word 'past' in Nouns Frequency: #552
Rank popularity for the word 'past' in Adverbs Frequency: #285
Rank popularity for the word 'past' in Adjectives Frequency: #138
APTS, pats, spat, stap, taps
The numerical value of past in Chaldean Numerology is: 7
The numerical value of past in Pythagorean Numerology is: 2
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
Images & Illustrations of past
Translations for past
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- الماضي, ماضٍArabic
- minulý, minulostCzech
- Vergangenheit, Präteritum, vergangen, vorbeiGerman
- παρελθών, τα περασμένα, πρότερος, παρελθόν, πρωτύτερος, περασμένος, πρώην, αόριστος, τέως, επέκεινα, πέρα, παρελθοντικόςGreek
- preter, estintecoEsperanto
- pretérito, pasadoSpanish
- mennyt, ohi, menneisyys, yli, viime, imperfekti, jälkeenFinnish
- dernière, passé, passée, dernier, aprèsFrench
- tar éis, i ndiaidh, caiteIrish
- seach, an dèidh, seachadScottish Gaelic
- múlt, múlt időHungarian
- 過去形, 過去, 過去時制Japanese
- 과거형, 지나간, 이전의, 과거, 過去, 과거의Korean
- pagātne, pagājisLatvian
- passat, passataMaltese
- verleden tijd, voorbije, verleden, voorbij, verder, vervlogene, afgelopenDutch
- preteritum, forbi, bortenfor, fortidNorwegian
- przeszłość, czas przeszłyPolish
- passado, pretéritoPortuguese
- trecut, trecutăRomanian
- былое, мимо, прошлый, прошедшее время, прошлоеRussian
- próšlo, prošlo vreme, прошлост, prošla, prošlost, prošliSerbo-Croatian
- preteklik, preteklostSlovene
- గత, పూర్వం, భూతకాలము, గతించిన, గతకాలం, జరిగిన, వెనుక, పూర్వపు, గతం, పోయింది, జరిగిందిTelugu
- geçtiğimiz, geçmiş zaman, geçen, geçmiş, öncekiTurkish
- quá khứ, 過去Vietnamese
Get even more translations for past »
Find a translation for the past definition in other languages:
Select another language: