analyze syntactically by assigning a constituent structure to (a sentence)
A successful act of parsing.
The result of such an act.
To resolve into its elements, as a sentence, pointing out the several parts of speech, and their relation to each other by government or agreement; to analyze and describe grammatically.
To split a file or other input into bits of data that can be easily stored or manipulated.
Origin: From pars, from pars (plural of part), from pars.
to resolve into its elements, as a sentence, pointing out the several parts of speech, and their relation to each other by government or agreement; to analyze and describe grammatically
Origin: [L. pars a part; pars orationis a part of speech. See Part, n.]
Chambers 20th Century Dictionary
pärs, v.t. (gram.) to tell the parts of speech of a sentence and the relations of the various words to each other.—n. Pars′ing. [L. pars (orationis), a part of speech.]
The New Hacker's Dictionary
1. To determine the syntactic structure of a sentence or other utterance (close to the standard English meaning). “That was the one I saw you.” “I can't parse that.” 2. More generally, to understand or comprehend. “It's very simple; you just kretch the glims and then aos the zotz.” “I can't parse that.” 3. Of fish, to have to remove the bones yourself. “I object to parsing fish”, means “I don't want to get a whole fish, but a sliced one is okay”. A parsed fish has been deboned. There is some controversy over whether unparsed should mean ‘bony’, or also mean ‘deboned’.
apers, apres, après, aprés, asper, as per, pares, pears, præs., rapes, reaps, RESPA, sarpe, spare, s
The numerical value of parse in Chaldean Numerology is: 1
The numerical value of parse in Pythagorean Numerology is: 5
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
It's about time that we stop and allow the Pope to speak the language of most ordinary people, especially parents, who understand the Pope far better than those who parse every single word and statement that comes out of his mouth! let us not read into the Pope's words anything other than what is there. He speaks constantly of mercy and tenderness. He speaks as a pastor and loving father figure who loves children and wants the best for them.
Images & Illustrations of parse
Translations for parse
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- analitzarCatalan, Valencian
- análisis, procesamiento, analizar, descomponer, resultado, procesarSpanish
- jäsentäminen, jäsennys, jäsentää, lauseenjäsennys, jäsentelyFinnish
- analyser, décomposerFrench
- パーズ, 解析Japanese
- analyse, ontleding, parse, ontleden, parsen, analyserenDutch
- analisar, decompor, processarPortuguese
- анализ, анализировать, разбирать, разбор, разобратьRussian
- analysera, parsning, syntaxanalysSwedish
Get even more translations for parse »
Find a translation for the parse definition in other languages:
Select another language: