an artist who paints
a worker who is employed to cover objects with paint
a line that is attached to the bow of a boat and used for tying up (as when docking or towing)
cougar, puma, catamount, mountain lion, painter, panther, Felis concolor(noun)
large American feline resembling a lion
An artist who paints pictures.
A laborer or workman who paints surfaces using a paintbrush or other means.
A rope connected to the bow of a boat, used to attach it to, e.g. a jetty or another boat.
A mountain lion, by mispronunciation of "panther".
Origin: influenced by paintre
a rope at the bow of a boat, used to fasten it to anything
the panther, or puma
one whose occupation is to paint
one who covers buildings, ships, ironwork, and the like, with paint
an artist who represents objects or scenes in color on a flat surface, as canvas, plaster, or the like
Origin: [See 1st Paint.]
This topic is for the profession "Painter", which is a specialization of "Artist", also written "Artiste" yes with an "e", in England in order to show that the artist painter is a professional, like Artiste Langdonart, Ronald Belanger and others are in 2012, and like were van Gogh, Monet and Manet were in the past.
Chambers 20th Century Dictionary
pānt′ėr, n. a rope used to fasten a boat.—Cut the painter, to set adrift; Lazy painter, a small painter for use in fine weather only. [A corr. of M. E. panter, a fowler's noose, through O. Fr. from L. panther, a hunting-net—Gr. panthēros, catching all—pan, neut. of pas, every, thēr, wild beast.]
British National Corpus
Rank popularity for the word 'painter' in Nouns Frequency: #1865
pertain, pine tar, repaint
The numerical value of painter in Chaldean Numerology is: 8
The numerical value of painter in Pythagorean Numerology is: 2
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
Paintings have a life of their own that derives from the painter's soul.
No person who is not a great sculptor or painter can be an architect. If he is not a sculptor or painter, he can only be a builder.
This was very much at a time when the canon was either you're a painter or you're a sculptor and only that. He very much wanted to prove that wrong.
You don’t have to be an expert at the DIY project, or a painter or an artist, you can just pick something you like that speaks to you and color it however you want it.
Jimmy had no idea about tools or how to put things together, but he was good at using his hands and is a pretty accomplished artist and painter. He picked things up quickly.
Images & Illustrations of painter
Translations for painter
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- فنان, رسام, دهانArabic
- pintorCatalan, Valencian
- peintiwr, lliwyddWelsh
- maler, kunstmalerDanish
- Fahrzeuglackiererin, Hobbymalerin, Maler, Fangleine, Anstreicherin, Kunstmalerin, Fahrzeuglackierer, Hobbymaler, Freizeitmaler, Anstreicher, Kunstmaler, Autolackiererin, Freizeitmalerin, Malerin, AutolackiererGerman
- ζωγράφος, παλαμάρι, βαφέας, μπογιατζήςGreek
- pentristino, pentristo, farbisto, farbistino, virpentristo, virfarbistoEsperanto
- pintor, pintora, barnizadora, barnizadorSpanish
- نگارگر, نقاش, رنگکارPersian
- maalari, taidemaalari, kiinnitysköysiFinnish
- peintre décoratrice, artiste peintre, peintre décorateur, peintresse, peintresse décoratrice, peintreFrench
- lì-dhealbhadair, dealbhadair, ball-toisich, ròpa-toisichScottish Gaelic
- pintor, pintoraGalician
- festő, szobafestőHungarian
- pikerino, piktero, domindutistino, indutisto, farbizistino, piktistino, domindutistulo, indutistino, farbizistulo, piktistulo, domindutisto, pikerulo, farbizisto, indutistulo, piktistoIdo
- pittore, barbetta, pittrice, [[cima]] da [[ormeggio]], verniciatore, [[cima]] da [[rimorchio]]Italian
- 画家, 絵かきJapanese
- 畫家, 화가Korean
- pictrix, pictorLatin
- MolerLuxembourgish, Letzeburgesch
- мо́лер, боја́џија, сли́кар, сли́каркаMacedonian
- kunstschilder, schilder, huisschilderDutch
- yidleeshí, naʼachʼąąhíNavajo, Navaho
- malarz, malarkaPolish
- pintor, proiz, pintoraPortuguese
- pictor, pictorițăRomanian
- худо́жник, фали́нь, маля́р, живопи́сецRussian
- сликар, slȉkarica, slȉkār, сликаркаSerbo-Croatian
- piktor, ballamar, bojaxhiAlbanian
- målare, konstnärSwedish
- ressam, boyacıTurkish
- thợ sơn, họa sĩVietnamese
- jipänan, jikölan, hipänan, hikölan, pänan, kölanVolapük
- pondeu, pondeu d' bastimint, pinte, mwaisse pondeuWalloon
Get even more translations for painter »
Find a translation for the painter definition in other languages:
Select another language: