belonging to or on behalf of a specified person (especially yourself); preceded by a possessive
"for your own use"; "do your own thing"; "she makes her own clothes"; "`ain' is Scottish"
own, have, possess(verb)
have ownership or possession of
"He owns three houses in Florida"; "How many cars does she have?"
To have rightful possession of (property, goods or capital); "To possess by right; to have the right of property in; to have the legal right or rightful title to." (Ref 1)
I own this car.
To claim as one's own; to answer to.
To defeat or embarrass; to overwhelm.
To virtually or figuratively enslave.
To illicitly obtain "super-user" or "root" access into a computer system thereby having access to all of the user files on that system; pwn.
To admit to be true; concede, grant, allow, acknowledge, confess; not to deny; to admit to be true. (Ref 2)
To acknowledge or admit the possession or ownership of. (Ref 3)
To recognise, to acknowledge responsibility for, to admit to be true.
Belonging to; possessed; proper to;
Chambers 20th Century Dictionary
ōn, v.t. to grant: to allow to be true: concede: acknowledge. [A.S. unnan, to grant; Ger. gönnen, to grant.]
ōn, v.t. to possess: to be the rightful owner of. [A.S. ágnian, with addition of casual suffix—ágen, one's own; cf. Own (adj.).]
ōn, adj. possessed: belonging to one's self and to no other: peculiar.—ns. Own′er, one who owns or possesses; Own′ership, state of being an owner: right of possession. [A.S. ágen, pa.p. of ágan, to possess. Cf. Owe.]
British National Corpus
Spoken Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'own' in Spoken Corpus Frequency: #115
Written Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'own' in Written Corpus Frequency: #250
Rank popularity for the word 'own' in Verbs Frequency: #318
The numerical value of own in Chaldean Numerology is: 9
The numerical value of own in Pythagorean Numerology is: 7
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
Do I go there? Yeah, I go there, drive my own car. Park my own car. Get out of my own car.
Every man is his own ancestor, and every man is his own heir. He devises his own future, and he inherits his own past.
Other elements will be negotiated, what degree they will give them identity, to what degree will they allow them to use their own language, their own schools, their own security arrangements, their own implementation of regional projects, all of these will be negotiated.
But I am my own man, and my views are shaped by my own thinking and own experiences. Each president learns from those who came before -- their principles... their adjustments. One thing we know is this: Every president inherits a changing world... and changing circumstances.
If we're not open, if we don't bring in the world's best technology, we'll never have true information security, even if you localize, make your own CPUs (central processing units), make your own operating systems, make your own database software, it would still be at a grade school level, (with) your (security measures) transparent to the college students.
Images & Illustrations of own
Translations for own
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- ملك, نفس, مَلَكَArabic
- ула́сны, свой, мець, вало́дацьBelarusian
- владе́я, со́бствен, и́мам, свойBulgarian
- propi, mateixCatalan, Valencian
- mít, vlastní, vlastnitCzech
- egen, ejeDanish
- eigen-, besitzen, eingestehen, haben, zugebenGerman
- posedi, propraEsperanto
- propio, admitir, poseer, reconocerSpanish
- oma, omistaa, tunnustaaFinnish
- propre, posséder, avoirFrench
- fhèinScottish Gaelic
- היה, שייךHebrew
- birtokol, bír, sajátHungarian
- proprio, possedereItalian
- 所有する, 自身Japanese
- ფლობს, საკუთარიGeorgian
- 소유하다, 자기Korean
- habeo, possideo, propriusLatin
- има, поседува, свој, сопственMacedonian
- bezitten, eigen, hebbenDutch
- swój, własny, mieć, posiadaćPolish
- possuir, próprioPortuguese
- име́ть, со́бственный, облада́ть, свой, владе́ть, признава́тьRussian
- властити, властит, imati, поседовати, posedovati, sopstven, vlastiti, сопствен, имати, vlastitSerbo-Croatian
- vlastný, mať, vlastniť, svojSlovak
- imeti, svoj, lastenSlovene
- tillstå, egen, vidgå, eget, äga, erkänna, egnaSwedish
- володі́ти, ма́ти, свій, вла́снийUkrainian
- sở hữuVietnamese
Get even more translations for own »
Find a translation for the own definition in other languages:
Select another language: