Definitions for overlapˌoʊ vərˈlæp; ˈoʊ vərˌlæp
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word overlap
overlap, convergence, intersection(noun)
a representation of common ground between theories or phenomena
"there was no overlap between their proposals"
the property of partial coincidence in time
a flap that lies over another part
"the lap of the shingles should be at least ten inches"
coincide partially or wholly
"Our vacations overlap"
extend over and cover a part of
"The roofs of the houses overlap in this crowded city"
Something that overlaps or is overlapped
a situation in the game where an attacking line has more players in it than the defensive line coming to meet it. The attacking side may exploit the overlap by using their superior numbers to break the opposition's defensive line. If attackers outnumber defenders by more than one player this is often termed a two man overlap or three man overlap, etc. If the attacking side fails to break through usually due to poor execution, they are said to waste an overlap.
To extend over and partly cover something.
the mousemat overlapped the edge of the desk
To have an area, range, character or function in common.
The two maps overlapped at the east and west edges
Used of sets that have some elements in common.
The set (all men) overlaps the set (vegetarians)
Dictionary of Military and Associated Terms
1. In photography, the amount by which one photograph includes the same area covered by another, customarily expressed as a percentage. The overlap between successive air photographs on a flight line is called
Translations for overlap
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- επικαλύπτομαι, επικάλυψη, επικαλύπτωGreek
- traslapo, superposición, traslapar, solapo, solaparSpanish
- tar-iadhadhScottish Gaelic
- overlap, bedekken, overlappenDutch
- zachodzić na siebie, pokrywać sięPolish
- cobrir, sobreporPortuguese
- перекрывать, пересекаться, накрыватьRussian
Get even more translations for overlap »
Find a translation for the overlap definition in other languages:
Select another language: