Definitions for overlapˌoʊ vərˈlæp; ˈoʊ vərˌlæp
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word overlap
Random House Webster's College Dictionary
o•ver•lapˌoʊ vərˈlæp; ˈoʊ vərˌlæp(v.; n.)-lapped, -lap•ping
(v.t.)to extend over and cover a part of.
to coincide in part with; have in common with.
to cover and extend beyond.
(v.i.)to lap over.
to coincide partly.
(n.)an act or instance of overlapping.
the amount or place of overlapping.
an overlapping part.
Origin of overlap:
overlap, convergence, intersection(noun)
a representation of common ground between theories or phenomena
"there was no overlap between their proposals"
the property of partial coincidence in time
a flap that lies over another part
"the lap of the shingles should be at least ten inches"
coincide partially or wholly
"Our vacations overlap"
extend over and cover a part of
"The roofs of the houses overlap in this crowded city"
Kernerman English Learner's Dictionary
overlap(verb)ˌoʊ vərˈlæp; n. ˈoʊ vərˌlæp
(of one object) to cover part of another
The edge of the blue fabric overlaps the red fabric.
overlapˌoʊ vərˈlæp; n. ˈoʊ vərˌlæp
(of two objects) to cover part of each other
The two fabrics overlap slightly.
overlapˌoʊ vərˈlæp; n. ˈoʊ vərˌlæp
to use or include some of the same ideas, activities, etc.
The two classes are designed to overlap, in terms of subject matter.
Something that overlaps or is overlapped
a situation in the game where an attacking line has more players in it than the defensive line coming to meet it. The attacking side may exploit the overlap by using their superior numbers to break the opposition's defensive line. If attackers outnumber defenders by more than one player this is often termed a two man overlap or three man overlap, etc. If the attacking side fails to break through usually due to poor execution, they are said to waste an overlap.
To extend over and partly cover something.
the mousemat overlapped the edge of the desk
To have an area, range, character or function in common.
The two maps overlapped at the east and west edges
Used of sets that have some elements in common.
The set (all men) overlaps the set (vegetarians)
Dictionary of Military and Associated Terms
1. In photography, the amount by which one photograph includes the same area covered by another, customarily expressed as a percentage. The overlap between successive air photographs on a flight line is called
Translations for overlap
Kernerman English Multilingual Dictionary
to extend over and cover a part of
The pieces of cloth overlapped (each other).
- oorvleuel, oormekaar valAfrikaans
- oorslag, oorvleuelingAfrikaans
- يَتَراكَب، يَتَشابَكArabic
- застъпвам сеBulgarian
- sobrepor-sePortuguese (BR)
- sobreposiçãoPortuguese (BR)
- překrývat seCzech
- překrývání, přečníváníCzech
- superponerse, solaparseSpanish
- superposición, solapoSpanish
- üle ulatumaEstonian
- روی هم قرار گرفتنFarsi
- هم پوشیFarsi
- (se) chevaucherFrench
- ढक लेना, एक ही समय होनाHindi
- अतिच्छादन, आंशिक रूप से आच्छादित करने की क्रियाHindi
- preklapati seCroatian
- bertumpang tindihIndonesian
- tumpang tindihIndonesian
- sovrapporre, sovrapporsiItalian
- iš dalies uždengti, sutaptiLithuanian
- daļēji pārklāties/pārsegtLatvian
- pārsedze; pārlaidumsLatvian
- elkaar overlappenDutch
- overlappe; dekke delvisNorwegian
- overlapping; delvis dekkingNorwegian
- zachodzić na siebiePolish
- روی هم قرار گرفتنPersian
- روى هم قرار گرفتن، هم پوشیPersian
- يو پر بلPashto
- د يو پر بل باندى واقع كيدلPashto
- a (se) suprapuneRomanian
- перекрывание; нахлёсткаRussian
- prekrývať saSlovak
- üstüste gelmek, öpüşmekTurkish
- üstüste gelmeTurkish
- 疊蓋Chinese (Trad.)
- 重疊Chinese (Trad.)
- перекривати, заходити одне за однеUkrainian
- تداخل ہونا، ايک دوسرے ميں گھسا ہوناUrdu
- gối lên nhauVietnamese
- sự gối đè lên nhauVietnamese
- 叠盖Chinese (Simp.)
- 重叠Chinese (Simp.)
Get even more translations for overlap »
Find a translation for the overlap definition in other languages:
Select another language: