a person disposed to take a favorable view of things
A person who expects a favourable outcome.
A believer in optimism.
A small centre-board sailing dinghy designed to train and introduce young children into sailing.
The Optimist is a small, single-handed sailing dinghy intended for use by children up to the age of 15. Nowadays boats are usually made of Fiberglass, although wooden boats are still built. It is one of the most popular sailing dinghies in the world, with over 150,000 boats officially registered with the class and many more built but never registered. The Optimist is recognized as an International Class by the International Sailing Federation.
The Roycroft Dictionary
1. A neurotic person with gooseflesh, and teeth a-chatter, trying hard to be brave. 2. A man who when he falls in the soup thinks of himself as being in the swim. 3. A man who does not care what happens, so long as it doesn't happen to him.
The numerical value of optimist in Chaldean Numerology is: 5
The numerical value of optimist in Pythagorean Numerology is: 4
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
I'm an optimist and I'm hoping to see that in my lifetime.
The man who is a pessimist before 48 knows too much if he is an optimist after it, he knows too little.
The optimist sees the rose and not its thorns the pessimist stares at the thorns, oblivious to the rose.
A pessimist is correct oftener than an optimist, but an optimist has more fun - and neither can stop the march of events.
To the question whether I am a pessimist or an optimist, I answer that my knowledge is pessimistic, but my willing and hoping are optimistic.
Images & Illustrations of optimist
Translations for optimist
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- optimistaCatalan, Valencian
- Optimist, OptimistinGerman
- optimisti, optimistijollaFinnish
- אופטימיסט, אופטימיHebrew
- 낙천주의 자Korean
- optimistjolle, optimistNorwegian Nynorsk
- Optimist, optimistjolleNorwegian
- optymista, optymistkaPolish
- optimista, otimistaPortuguese
- оптимистка, оптимистRussian
- hifrediman, frediman, jifredimanVolapük
Get even more translations for optimist »
Find a translation for the optimist definition in other languages:
Select another language: