Definitions for opposer
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word opposer
Random House Webster's College Dictionary
(v.t.)to act against or furnish resistance to; combat.
to hinder or obstruct.
to set as an opponent or adversary.
to be hostile or adverse to, as in opinion:
to oppose new tax legislation.
to set against, esp. for comparison or contrast:
to oppose advantages to disadvantages.
to set (something) opposite something else, or to set (two things) so as to be opposite one another.
(v.i.)to be in opposition.
Idioms for oppose:
as opposed to,as contrasted with.
* Syn: oppose , resist , withstand imply holding out or acting against something. oppose implies offensive action against the opposite side in a conflict or contest; it may also refer to attempts to thwart displeasing ideas, methods, or the like: to oppose an enemy; to oppose the passage of a bill.resist suggests defensive action against a threatening force or possibility; it may also refer to an inner struggle in which the will is divided: to resist an enemy onslaught; hard to resist chocolate.withstand generally implies successful resistance; it stresses the determination and endurance necessary to emerge unharmed: to withstand public criticism; to withstand a siege.
Origin of oppose:
1350–1400; ME < OF opposer,b. L oppōnere to set against and OF poser to pose1
adversary, antagonist, opponent, opposer, resister(noun)
someone who offers opposition
One who opposes, one who shows opposition
Translations for opposer
Kernerman English Multilingual Dictionary
to set (two things, people etc) to compete
He matched his skill against the champion's.
- يُباري، يَجْمَع في مُباراهArabic
- състезавам сеBulgarian
- confrontarPortuguese (BR)
- porovnat, změřitCzech
- stille opDanish
- αντιπαρατάσσω, παραβγαίνωGreek
- زورازمایی کردنFarsi
- बराबर का जोड़ होना, (एक व्यक्ति को) दूसरे के विराध में खड़ा कर देना, मुक़ाबिले में ले आनाHindi
- reyna sig viðIcelandic
- misurare, opporreItalian
- pastatyti priešpriešiais, rungtisLithuanian
- tegenover stellenDutch
- sette opp mot, måle, prøveNorwegian
- زورازمایی کردنPersian
- رقابت كردنPashto
- a măsura (cu)Romanian
- porovnať, zmeraťSlovak
- mäta [sina krafter med], ställa [upp] mot, matchaSwedish
- 使相互較量Chinese (Trad.)
- змагатися; протистоятиUkrainian
- مقابلے میں بھڑاناUrdu
- đối chọiVietnamese
- 使较量Chinese (Simp.)
Get even more translations for opposer »
Find a translation for the opposer definition in other languages:
Select another language: