Definitions for operating system
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word operating system
operating system, OS(noun)
(computer science) software that controls the execution of computer programs and may provide various services
Software that controls the allocation and usage of hardware resources such as memory, CPU time, disk space, and input and output devices.
An operating system is a collection of software that manages computer hardware resources and provides common services for computer programs. The operating system is a vital component of the system software in a computer system. Application programs usually require an operating system to function. Time-sharing operating systems schedule tasks for efficient use of the system and may also include accounting for cost allocation of processor time, mass storage, printing, and other resources. For hardware functions such as input and output and memory allocation, the operating system acts as an intermediary between programs and the computer hardware, although the application code is usually executed directly by the hardware and will frequently make a system call to an OS function or be interrupted by it. Operating systems can be found on almost any device that contains a computer—from cellular phones and video game consoles to supercomputers and web servers. Examples of popular modern operating systems include Android, BSD, iOS, GNU/Linux, OS X, QNX, Microsoft Windows, Windows Phone, and IBM z/OS. All these, except Windows and z/OS, share roots in UNIX.
The New Hacker's Dictionary
[techspeak] (Often abbreviated ‘OS’) The foundation software of a machine; that which schedules tasks, allocates storage, and presents a default interface to the user between applications. The facilities an operating system provides and its general design philosophy exert an extremely strong influence on programming style and on the technical cultures that grow up around its host machines. Hacker folklore has been shaped primarily by the Unix, ITS, TOPS-10, TOPS-20/TWENEX, WAITS, CP/M, MS-DOS, and Multics operating systems (most importantly by ITS and Unix). See also timesharing.
The numerical value of operating system in Chaldean Numerology is: 2
The numerical value of operating system in Pythagorean Numerology is: 8
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
Andrew is the operating system of the future and always will be.
I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones.
When solving a "panic" you must first ask yourself what you were doing that could possibly frighten an operating system.
My understanding is that Windows 10 will go on as an operating system, but there will be no more phones made by Microsoft.
It really looks like they've just tried to build an operating system for them, and give the user a basic set of applications.
Images & Illustrations of operating system
Translations for operating system
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- نظام تشغيل, نظام التشغيلArabic
- аперацыйная сістэмаBelarusian
- операционна системаBulgarian
- sistema operatiuCatalan, Valencian
- operační systémCzech
- system weithreduWelsh
- operativsystem, styresystemDanish
- λειτουργικό σύστημαGreek
- sistema operativoSpanish
- sistema eragileBasque
- ﺱیﺲﺘﻣ ﻉﺎﻤﻟ, سیستم عاملPersian
- käyttöjärjestelmä, käyttFinnish
- système d’exploitation, système d'exploitationFrench
- sistema operativoGalician
- מערכת הפעלהHebrew
- operációs rendszerHungarian
- systema de operationInterlingua
- sistem operasiIndonesian
- stýrikerfi, stjórnkerfiIcelandic
- sistema operativoItalian
- 오퍼레이팅 시스템, 運營體制, 운영 체제Korean
- sîstema şixulandinêKurdish
- systema operationis, systema internaLatin
- operacinė sistemaLithuanian
- operacionālā sistēmaLatvian
- mpandrindra milinaMalagasy
- оперативен системMacedonian
- ഓപറേറ്റിങ്ങ് സിസ്റ്റംMalayalam
- sistem pengoperasianMalay
- system operacyjnyPolish
- sistema operacional, sistema operativoPortuguese
- sistem operaționalRomanian
- операционная системаRussian
- operácījskī sústav, оперативни систем, операцијски сустав, operativni sistemSerbo-Croatian
- operačný systémSlovak
- operacijski sistemSlovene
- operativsystem, operativ systemSwedish
- işletim sistemiTurkish
- операційна системаUkrainian
- hệ điều hànhVietnamese
Get even more translations for operating system »
Find a translation for the operating system definition in other languages:
Select another language:
Discuss these operating system definitions with the community:
Word of the Day
Would you like us to send you a FREE new word definition delivered to your inbox daily?
Use the citation below to add this definition to your bibliography:
"operating system." Definitions.net. STANDS4 LLC, 2017. Web. 28 Feb. 2017. <http://www.definitions.net/definition/operating system>.