lone(a), lonesome(a), only(a), sole(a), solitary(a)(adj)
being the only one; single and isolated from others
"the lone doctor in the entire county"; "a lonesome pine"; "an only child"; "the sole heir"; "the sole example"; "a solitary instance of cowardice"; "a solitary speck in the sky"
exclusive of anyone or anything else
"she alone believed him"; "cannot live by bread alone"; "I'll have this car and this car only"
merely, simply, just, only, but(adverb)
and nothing more
"I was merely asking"; "it is simply a matter of time"; "just a scratch"; "he was only a child"; "hopes that last but a moment"
entirely, exclusively, solely, alone, only(adverb)
without any others being included or involved
"was entirely to blame"; "a school devoted entirely to the needs of problem children"; "he works for Mr. Smith exclusively"; "did it solely for money"; "the burden of proof rests on the prosecution alone"; "a privilege granted only to him"
with nevertheless the final result
"He arrived only to find his wife dead"; "We won only to lose again in the next round"
in the final outcome
"These news will only make you more upset"
"It was the same story; only this time she came out better"
only, only if, only when(adverb)
never except when
"call me only if your cold gets worse"
as recently as
"I spoke to him only an hour ago"
without others or anything further; exclusively
my heart is hers, and hers only
no more than; just
if there were only one more ticket!
as recently as
he left only moments ago
Alone in a category.
Singularly superior; the best.
He is the only trombonist to recruit.
Without sibling; without a sibling of the same gender.
He is their only son, in fact, an only child
Under the condition that; but.
I would enjoy running, only I have this broken leg
But for the fact that; except.
Origin: ænlic, from ; corresponding to one + -ly/-like. Cognate with enlig, and obsolete eenlijk.
"Only" is a song by Nine Inch Nails. It was released as the second single from Nine Inch Nails' fourth album With Teeth. "Only" reached number one on the Billboard Modern Rock chart, where it stayed for seven weeks. It is the second successful release that Nine Inch Nails has had in the UK, peaking at number 20.
Chambers 20th Century Dictionary
ōn′li, adj. single in number or kind: this above all others: alone.—adv. in one manner: for one purpose: singly: merely: barely: entirely.—conj. but: except that.—n. On′liness. [A.S. ánlíc (adj.)—án, one, líc, like.]
What does ONLY stand for? -- Explore the various meanings for the ONLY acronym on the Abbreviations.com website.
British National Corpus
Spoken Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'only' in Spoken Corpus Frequency: #76
Written Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'only' in Written Corpus Frequency: #137
Rank popularity for the word 'only' in Adverbs Frequency: #6
Rank popularity for the word 'only' in Adjectives Frequency: #37
The numerical value of only in Chaldean Numerology is: 7
The numerical value of only in Pythagorean Numerology is: 3
Images & Illustrations of only
Translations for only
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- само, единствен, единственоBulgarian
- només, sols, solament, únic, únicamentCatalan, Valencian
- jen, až, jenom, teprve, jedináček, jenže, pouze, jedině, jedinýCzech
- gerade, geschwisterlos, einzig, einzigartig, Einzelkind, nurGerman
- μοναδικό, μόνο, μοναδική, αλλά, μοναδικός, μόνος, μόνηGreek
- sola, nuraEsperanto
- sólo, apenas, hijo único, solamente, único, únicamenteSpanish
- فقط, تنها, تَنهاPersian
- mutta, edes, ainut, vain, vasta, juuri, ainoa, ainutlaatuinen, jos, ainoastaan, paitsi että, sillä ehdolla, ettäFinnish
- que, unique, seulement, sauf que, seul, mais, ne...que, uniquementFrench
- רק, יָחִידHebrew
- सिर्फ़, हीHindi
- csak, egyetlen, kivéveHungarian
- մինուճար, միայն, միամոր, միակArmenian
- solo, solamente, unicoItalian
- だけ, しか, 唯一Japanese
- 유일한, ...만, 하나밖에 없는Korean
- unicus, sōlumLatin
- vienīgi, tikai, vienīgsLatvian
- sahaja, hanyaMalay
- pas, enig, netDutch
- eneste, bare, einasteNorwegian
- jedyny, tylko, najlepszy, dopieroPolish
- somente, porém, exceto, único, todavia, mas, apenas, melhor, salvo, que, filhoPortuguese
- singur, unic, numaiRomanian
- только вот, лишь, единственный, только, единый, но, за исключением того, что, однако, всегоRussian
- само, sámoSerbo-Croatian
- bara, endast, endaSwedish
- ఏకైక, ఒకే, ఒక్కగానొక్కTelugu
- sadece, yalnızca, bir tek, tekTurkish
Get even more translations for only »
Find a translation for the only definition in other languages:
Select another language: