once, one time, in one case(adverb)
on one occasion
"once I ran into her"
as soon as
"once we are home, we can rest"
once, formerly, at one time, erstwhile, erst(adverb)
at a previous time
"at one time he loved her"; "her erstwhile writing"; "she was a dancer once";
One and only one time.
I have only once eaten pizza.
Formerly; during some period in the past.
multiplied by one: indicating that a number is multiplied by one
once three is three.
As soon as; when; after.
Origin: From ones (genitive of on used adverbally), from anes, genitive of an. Compare enes, einest. More at one, -s.
Organización Nacional de Ciegos Españoles is a Spanish foundation founded on December 13, 1938 to raise funds to provide services for the blind and people with serious visual impairment. Although it is overseen by a board of patrons made up of representatives from various Spanish ministries, it does enjoy a certain amount of freedom of movement in the day-to-day running of its activities, and its general council is democratically elected from among its members. In June 2006, membership of the organization was 66,851 people, of whom 40% were over the age of 65. Between them, the three pillars of the ONCE — the Directorate-General, the Foundation and CEOSA, ONCE's business corporation — employ over 40,000 blind, visually impaired or sighted staff, as well as people with other disabilities.
Chambers 20th Century Dictionary
ons, n. Same as Ounce, the animal.
wuns, adv. a single time: at a former time: at any time or circumstances.—n. one time.—Once and again, more than once: repeatedly; Once for all, once only and not again; Once in a way, on one occasion only: very rarely.—At once, without delay: alike: at the same time; For once, on one occasion only. [A.S. ánes, orig. gen. of án, one, used as adv.]
What does ONCE stand for? -- Explore the various meanings for the ONCE acronym on the Abbreviations.com website.
British National Corpus
Spoken Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'once' in Spoken Corpus Frequency: #510
Written Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'once' in Written Corpus Frequency: #648
Rank popularity for the word 'once' in Adverbs Frequency: #72
The numerical value of once in Chaldean Numerology is: 2
The numerical value of once in Pythagorean Numerology is: 1
Images & Illustrations of once
Translations for once
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- مرة, مرةًArabic
- раз, адзі́н раз, адно́йчыBelarusian
- kentre maBreton
- jednou, kdysiCzech
- engang, når først, bare, en gang, så snartDanish
- einmal, früher, sobald, alsGerman
- μόλις, άλλοτε, παλιάGreek
- unufoje, iamaEsperanto
- antiguamente, una vez que, anteriormenteSpanish
- یکبار, یک بارPersian
- kerta, kunhanFinnish
- jadis, aussitôt que, une fois, autrefois, dès queFrench
- uaireiginScottish Gaelic
- einu sinniIcelandic
- un tempoItalian
- かつて, 以前, 一度, 一回, 一遍Japanese
- ერთხელ, როგორც კიGeorgian
- eemolLuxembourgish, Letzeburgesch
- sekali, dahulu, sebaik sahajaMalay
- én gang, bare, på et tidspunktNorwegian
- eens, ooit, zodra, een keer, eenmaalDutch
- eingong, berreNorwegian Nynorsk
- så snart, med det førsteNorwegian
- wcześniej, jeden raz, razPolish
- uma vez, outrora, tão logoPortuguese
- ранее, один раз, раньше, однажды, как только, когда-тоRussian
- једа̀нпӯт, не̏када, јѐдно̄м, nȅkada, jèdnōm, jedànpūtSerbo-Croatian
- ênkrat, nekóčSlovene
- en gång, för ut, förut, så snart som, tidigareSwedish
- раз, оди́н раз, один разUkrainian
Get even more translations for once »
Find a translation for the once definition in other languages:
Select another language: