Definitions for old hickory
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word old hickory
Jackson, Andrew Jackson, Old Hickory(noun)
7th president of the US; successfully defended New Orleans from the British in 1815; expanded the power of the presidency (1767-1845)
Old Hickory is a section of metropolitan Nashville named in honor of President Andrew Jackson who was nicknamed "Old Hickory." This area is located in the Hadley Bend section of eastern Davidson County. The area is probably best known for being a former company town as the site of a large DuPont plant. Many of the houses in Old Hickory were built to house Dupont employees and supervisors in the early days of the factory's existence. Old Hickory is bordered by the Cumberland River on the north and west, Old Hickory Lake to the east, and the former city of Lakewood to the south. To the north of the area is also the location of Old Hickory Lock and Dam. The main street through the area is Old Hickory Boulevard. The area today is the site of a country club, large golf course, city park, a Chamber of Commerce, and the Dupont plant, which has been mostly shut down but continues to employ a few hundred workers. The Nashville National Weather Service Forecast Office is located just to the southeast in nearby Wilson County, but it has an Old Hickory mailing address. Old Hickory has its own post office, assigned ZIP Code 37138. The postal service area that uses the "Old Hickory" mailing address includes portions of Wilson and Davidson counties.
Images & Illustrations of old hickory
Find a translation for the old hickory definition in other languages:
Select another language: