Definitions for offensiveəˈfɛn sɪv or, for 4,5 , ˈɔ fɛn-, ˈɒf ɛn-
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word offensive
offense, offence, offensive(adj)
the action of attacking an enemy
violating or tending to violate or offend against
"violative of the principles of liberty"; "considered such depravity offensive against all laws of humanity"
for the purpose of attack rather than defense
causing anger or annoyance
unsavory, unsavoury, offensive(adj)
"an unsavory reputation"; "an unsavory scandal"
unpleasant or disgusting especially to the senses
substitute a harsher or distasteful term for a mild one
"`nigger' is a dysphemistic term for `African-American'"
nauseating, nauseous, noisome, queasy, loathsome, offensive, sickening, vile(adj)
causing or able to cause nausea
"a nauseating smell"; "nauseous offal"; "a sickening stench"
The Marines today launched a major offensive.
The posture of attacking or being able to attack.
He took the offensive in the press, accusing his opponent of corruption.
Causing offense; arousing a visceral reaction of disgust, anger, or hatred
Some feminists find pornography offensive.
Relating to an offense or attack, as opposed to defensive.
The army's offensive capabilities. An offensive weapon.
Having to do with play directed at scoring.
The offensive coordinator is responsible for ordering all rushing plays.
Origin: From offensif, from as if *, from offendere, past participle offensus; see offend.
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
It's not just absurd, it's offensive.
There will be no spring or summer (offensive).
If I say anything offensive, it’s because of him.
They were completely inappropriate and offensive comments. Period.
If it has become offensive to people, I don't want anything to do with it.
Images & Illustrations of offensive
Translations for offensive
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- абра́злівы, на́ступ, ата́каBelarusian
- оскърбителен, обиденBulgarian
- ofensiu, ofensivaCatalan, Valencian
- ofenzíva, urážlivý, útokCzech
- Offensive, beleidigend, offensivGerman
- προσβλητικός, επιθετικόςGreek
- ofensiva, ofensivoSpanish
- hyökkäävä, offensiivi, hyökkäys-, hyökkäyskanta, pysyä hyökkäyskannalla, päällekäyvä, hyökkäysFinnish
- offensant, offensive, offensifFrench
- oilbheumachScottish Gaelic
- offensivo, offensivaItalian
- 攻勢, 攻撃的, 気に障る, 攻撃, 攻撃側Japanese
- mataharehare, koeo, pūraurau, weriweri, hākikiMāori
- beledigend, offensief, aanvallend, klaar om aan te vallen, weerzinwekkend, aanval, inval, walgelijkDutch
- ofensywa, atak, obraźliwyPolish
- ofensivo, ofensivaPortuguese
- ofensant, atac, ofensantă, ofensivăRomanian
- обидный, ата́ка, оскорбительный, наступле́ние, наступательныйRussian
- ofanziva, офанзиваSerbo-Croatian
- offensiv, stötande, anstötligSwedish
- на́ступ, обра́зливий, ата́каUkrainian
Get even more translations for offensive »
Find a translation for the offensive definition in other languages:
Select another language: