not divisible by two
not easily explained
"it is odd that his name is never mentioned"
an indefinite quantity more than that specified
"invited 30-odd guests"
curious, funny, odd, peculiar, queer, rum, rummy, singular(adj)
beyond or deviating from the usual or expected
"a curious hybrid accent"; "her speech has a funny twang"; "they have some funny ideas about war"; "had an odd name"; "the peculiar aromatic odor of cloves"; "something definitely queer about this town"; "what a rum fellow"; "singular behavior"
odd, unmatched, unmated, unpaired(adj)
of the remaining member of a pair, of socks e.g.
leftover, left over(p), left(p), odd, remaining, unexpended(adj)
not used up
"leftover meatloaf"; "she had a little money left over so she went to a movie"; "some odd dollars left"; "saved the remaining sandwiches for supper"; "unexpended provisions"
Not having a mate.
Optimistically, he had a corner of a drawer for odd socks.
But for the odd exception.
Left over, remaining when the rest have been grouped
I'm the odd one out.
Casual, irregular, not planned.
He's only worked odd jobs.
There were thirty-odd people in the room.
Not divisible by two.
Origin: oddi, which comes from oddr via an intermediate meaning of "triangle". The original meaning is "left over".
Chambers 20th Century Dictionary
od, adj. not paired with another: not even: left over after a round number has been taken: additional to a certain amount in round numbers: not exactly divisible by two: strange: unusual in kind or appearance: trifling: remote: (Shak.) at variance.—ns. Odd′-come-shortly, an early day, any time; Odd′fellow, a member of a secret benevolent society called Oddfellows; Odd′ity, the state of being odd or singular: strangeness: a singular person or thing.—adj. Odd′-look′ing, having a singular appearance.—adv. Odd′ly.—ns. Odd′ment, something remaining over: one of a broken set—often used in the plural; Odd′ness.—n.pl. Odds (odz), inequality: difference in favour of one against another: more than an even wager: the amount or proportion by which the bet of one exceeds that of another: advantage: dispute: scraps, miscellaneous pieces, as in the phrase Odds and ends (lit. 'points' and ends).—At odds, at variance. [Scand., Ice. oddi, a triangle, odd number—Ice. oddr, point; cf. A.S. ord, point.]
What does ODD stand for? -- Explore the various meanings for the ODD acronym on the Abbreviations.com website.
British National Corpus
Spoken Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'odd' in Spoken Corpus Frequency: #2659
Written Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'odd' in Written Corpus Frequency: #996
Rank popularity for the word 'odd' in Adjectives Frequency: #300
The numerical value of odd in Chaldean Numerology is: 6
The numerical value of odd in Pythagorean Numerology is: 5
Images & Illustrations of odd
Translations for odd
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- Iskis, imparBreton
- senar, imparell, aproximadament, estranyCatalan, Valencian
- merkwürdig, ungerade, komisch, einzeln, seltsamGerman
- extraño, desemparejado, raro, aproximadamente, desparejado, impar, guachoSpanish
- pariton, suunnilleen, omituinen, noin, kummallinen, satunnainen, outoFinnish
- étrange, bizarre, impair, à peu prèsFrench
- còrr, corraScottish Gaelic
- egynéhány, páratlan, valahány, furcsa, furaHungarian
- տարօրինակ, կենտArmenian
- odda-, hvass, ójafnIcelandic
- approssimativamente, strano, dispari, mordi e fuggi, a occhio e croce, strambo, casuale, all'incirca, irregolare, spaiato, occasionale, circaItalian
- უცნაური, კენტიGeorgian
- ongeruedLuxembourgish, Letzeburgesch
- nepāra, dīvainsLatvian
- merkwaardig, uitzonderlijk, overblijvend, vreemd, raar, zeldzaam, resterend, onregelmatig, ongeveer, oneven, bij benadering, onpaarDutch
- nieparzysty, dziwnyPolish
- estranho, raro, aproximadamente, ímparPortuguese
- приблизительно, странный, нечётный, околоRussian
- neparan, непаранSerbo-Croatian
- lih, čudenSlovene
- విలక్షణమైన, బేసిTelugu
Get even more translations for odd »
Find a translation for the odd definition in other languages:
Select another language: