happen, hap, go on, pass off, occur, pass, fall out, come about, take place(verb)
come to pass
"What is happening?"; "The meeting took place off without an incidence"; "Nothing occurred that seemed important"
come to one's mind; suggest itself
"It occurred to me that we should hire another secretary"; "A great idea then came to her"
to be found to exist
"sexism occurs in many workplaces"; "precious stones occur in a large area in Brazil"
To come to the mind; to arise in the mind; to suggest itself; to be presented to the imagination or memory; -- of an idea or thought; as, it never occurred to me to call John to ask.
Origin: [L. occurrere, occursum; ob (see Ob-) + currere to run. See Course.]
To happen or take place.
The liftoff will occur in exactly twelve seconds.
To present or offer itself.
I will write if the opportunity occurs.
To come or be presented to the mind; to suggest itself.
To be present or found.
The chemical monofluoroacetate occurs in all parts of Dichapetalum cymosum, and is responsible for its toxic effects.
Origin: Originally "meet, meet in argument", from occurrer, from occurro from prefix ob- + verb curro.
Chambers 20th Century Dictionary
o-kur′, v.i. to come or be presented to the mind: to happen: to appear: to be found here and there: to coincide in time:—pr.p. occur′ring; pa.p. occurred′.—ns. Occur′rence, anything that occurs: an event, esp. one unlooked for or unplanned: occasional presentation; Occur′rent, one who comes to meet another: (B.) an occurrence or chance.—adj. (B.) coming in the way. [Fr.,—L. occurrĕre—ob, towards, currĕre, to run.]
British National Corpus
Spoken Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'occur' in Spoken Corpus Frequency: #1818
Written Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'occur' in Written Corpus Frequency: #3274
Rank popularity for the word 'occur' in Verbs Frequency: #142
The numerical value of occur in Chaldean Numerology is: 3
The numerical value of occur in Pythagorean Numerology is: 6
Images & Illustrations of occur
Translations for occur
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- stát se, se, napadnout, udát se, odehrát se, dít se, nastatCzech
- vorkommen, in den Sinn kommen, passieren, einfallenGerman
- ocurrir, tincar, presentarSpanish
- meenuma, esinema, tekkimaEstonian
- tapahtua, juolahtaa, tulla mieleen, esiintyä, sattua, mieli, tarjoutuaFinnish
- produire, présenter, avoir lieu, venir à l'idée, arriver, passer, retrouverFrench
- tachair, buail air, buail an ceannScottish Gaelic
- eszébe jut, előfordul, megtalálhatóHungarian
- 思い浮かぶ, ある, 起こるJapanese
- ڕێکهوتن, ڕوودانKurdish
- evenio, cado, subeo, supervenio, occurro, accido, incidoLatin
- afalenLuxembourgish, Letzeburgesch
- се јавува, се појавува, текнува, се среќаваMacedonian
- voordoen, gebeuren, invallen, verschijnen, plaatsvinden, zich, aanbieden, voorkomen, opkomenDutch
- inntreffe, forekommeNorwegian
- wydarzać się, występować, wydarzyć sięPolish
- ocorrer, encontrar, acontecerPortuguese
- приходить в головуRussian
- pasti na pametSerbo-Croatian
- ske, äga rum, förekomma, händaSwedish
- olmak, hatırlamak, hazır olmak, aklına gelmekTurkish
- ariver, sorvini, aspiter, si troverWalloon
Get even more translations for occur »
Find a translation for the occur definition in other languages:
Select another language: