Definitions for occurəˈkɜr
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word occur
happen, hap, go on, pass off, occur, pass, fall out, come about, take place(verb)
come to pass
"What is happening?"; "The meeting took place off without an incidence"; "Nothing occurred that seemed important"
come to one's mind; suggest itself
"It occurred to me that we should hire another secretary"; "A great idea then came to her"
to be found to exist
"sexism occurs in many workplaces"; "precious stones occur in a large area in Brazil"
To come to the mind; to arise in the mind; to suggest itself; to be presented to the imagination or memory; -- of an idea or thought; as, it never occurred to me to call John to ask.
Origin: [L. occurrere, occursum; ob (see Ob-) + currere to run. See Course.]
To happen or take place.
The liftoff will occur in exactly twelve seconds.
To present or offer itself.
I will write if the opportunity occurs.
To come or be presented to the mind; to suggest itself.
To be present or found.
The chemical monofluoroacetate occurs in all parts of Dichapetalum cymosum, and is responsible for its toxic effects.
Origin: Originally "meet, meet in argument", from occurrer, from occurro from prefix ob- + verb curro.
Chambers 20th Century Dictionary
o-kur′, v.i. to come or be presented to the mind: to happen: to appear: to be found here and there: to coincide in time:—pr.p. occur′ring; pa.p. occurred′.—ns. Occur′rence, anything that occurs: an event, esp. one unlooked for or unplanned: occasional presentation; Occur′rent, one who comes to meet another: (B.) an occurrence or chance.—adj. (B.) coming in the way. [Fr.,—L. occurrĕre—ob, towards, currĕre, to run.]
British National Corpus
Spoken Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'occur' in Spoken Corpus Frequency: #1818
Written Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'occur' in Written Corpus Frequency: #3274
Rank popularity for the word 'occur' in Verbs Frequency: #142
The numerical value of occur in Chaldean Numerology is: 3
The numerical value of occur in Pythagorean Numerology is: 6
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
It is too early to state whether any transaction may occur.
Many accidents in the home occur in the kitchen, more in the bathroom but most occur in the bedroom.
The great tragedies of history occur not when right confronts wrong but when two rights confront each other.
When you meet the president, you ask yourself, How did it ever occur to anybody that he should be governor much less president
You have to allow a certain amount of time in which you are doing nothing in order to have things occur to you, to let your mind think.
Images & Illustrations of occur
Translations for occur
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- stát se, se, napadnout, udát se, odehrát se, dít se, nastatCzech
- vorkommen, in den Sinn kommen, passieren, einfallenGerman
- ocurrir, tincar, presentarSpanish
- meenuma, esinema, tekkimaEstonian
- tapahtua, juolahtaa, tulla mieleen, esiintyä, sattua, mieli, tarjoutuaFinnish
- produire, présenter, avoir lieu, venir à l'idée, arriver, passer, retrouverFrench
- tachair, buail air, buail an ceannScottish Gaelic
- eszébe jut, előfordul, megtalálhatóHungarian
- 思い浮かぶ, ある, 起こるJapanese
- ڕێکهوتن, ڕوودانKurdish
- evenio, cado, subeo, supervenio, occurro, accido, incidoLatin
- afalenLuxembourgish, Letzeburgesch
- се јавува, се појавува, текнува, се среќаваMacedonian
- voordoen, gebeuren, invallen, verschijnen, plaatsvinden, zich, aanbieden, voorkomen, opkomenDutch
- inntreffe, forekommeNorwegian
- wydarzać się, występować, wydarzyć sięPolish
- ocorrer, encontrar, acontecerPortuguese
- приходить в головуRussian
- pasti na pametSerbo-Croatian
- ske, äga rum, förekomma, händaSwedish
- olmak, hatırlamak, hazır olmak, aklına gelmekTurkish
- ariver, sorvini, aspiter, si troverWalloon
Get even more translations for occur »
Find a translation for the occur definition in other languages:
Select another language: