Definitions for obtainəbˈteɪn
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word obtain
come into possession of
"How did you obtain the visa?"
receive, get, find, obtain, incur(verb)
receive a specified treatment (abstract)
"These aspects of civilization do not find expression or receive an interpretation"; "His movie received a good review"; "I got nothing but trouble for my good intentions"
prevail, hold, obtain(verb)
be valid, applicable, or true
"This theory still holds"
To get hold of; to gain possession of, to procure; to acquire, in any way.
To secure (that) a specific objective or state of affairs be reached.
To prevail, be victorious; to succeed.
To hold; to keep, possess or occupy.
To exist or be the case; to hold true, be in force.
Origin: From obtenir, optiner et al., and obtenir, from obtinere, from ob- + tenere.
to hold; to keep; to possess
to get hold of by effort; to gain possession of; to procure; to acquire, in any way
to become held; to gain or have a firm footing; to be recognized or established; to subsist; to become prevalent or general; to prevail; as, the custom obtains of going to the seashore in summer
to prevail; to succeed
British National Corpus
Spoken Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'obtain' in Spoken Corpus Frequency: #2198
Rank popularity for the word 'obtain' in Verbs Frequency: #175
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
Some people obtain fame, others deserve it.
To obtain a man's opinion of you, make him mad.
By asking for the impossible we obtain the possible.
I will finally have the chance to obtain an identity.
By asking for the impossible, obtain the best possible.
Translations for obtain
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- erlangen, bestehenGerman
- hankkia, olla, olla olemassa, pitää hallussaanFinnish
- obtenir, s'établir, se procurer, avoir, réussir, avoir succèsFrench
- kap, megkap, hozzájutHungarian
- avere, ottenere, riuscire, stabilirsiItalian
- 持つ, 取得, 獲得, 持っている, 手に入れる, 成し遂げるJapanese
- 갖다, 얻다, 이루다, 굳히다Korean
- پهیداکردن, دهسکهوتنKurdish
- teneo, assequor, succedo, consequor, impetro, obtineoLatin
- iegūt, būt, dabūtLatvian
- dostać, nabyć, dostawać, otrzymać, uzyskać, uzyskiwać, nabywać, otrzymywaćPolish
- reuși, avea succes, a se stabili, obține, aveaRomanian
- достать, получать, доставать, добывать, получить, добытьRussian
Get even more translations for obtain »
Find a translation for the obtain definition in other languages:
Select another language: