the period of time that is happening now; any continuous stretch of time including the moment of speech
"that is enough for the present"; "he lives in the present with no thought of tomorrow"
nowadays, now, today(adverb)
in these times
"it is solely by their language that the upper classes nowadays are distinguished"- Nancy Mitford; "we now rarely see horse-drawn vehicles on city streets"; "today almost every home has television"
At the present time; in the current era.
in these days; at the present time
Origin: [For now on (OE. an) days. See A-, 1.]
British National Corpus
Written Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'nowadays' in Written Corpus Frequency: #2405
Rank popularity for the word 'nowadays' in Adverbs Frequency: #335
The numerical value of nowadays in Chaldean Numerology is: 1
The numerical value of nowadays in Pythagorean Numerology is: 3
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
Nowadays, there is one child in the family.
No one goes there nowadays, it's too crowded.
Misery no longer loves company. Nowadays it insists on it.
A lot of fellows nowadays have a B.A., M.D., or Ph.D. Unfortunately, they don't have a J.O.B.
There were big families, there was a lot of support available, nowadays, there is one child in the family.
Images & Illustrations of nowadays
Translations for nowadays
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- avui dia, actualment, avui en diaCatalan, Valencian
- nu om stunder, nu til dagsDanish
- momentan, jetzt, zur Zeit, zurzeit, derzeitig, gegenwärtig, heute, heutzutageGerman
- hoy en día, hoy día, actualmenteSpanish
- gaur egunBasque
- nykyisin, nykyaikana, nykyäänFinnish
- aujourd'hui, actuellement, de nos joursFrench
- an latha an-diughScottish Gaelic
- आज कलHindi
- manapság, mostanábanHungarian
- oggidì, oggigiornoItalian
- 現在, 現代Japanese
- nunc dierumLatin
- hautdesdaagsLuxembourgish, Letzeburgesch
- nu, heden, momenteelDutch
- dííshjį́Navajo, Navaho
- obecnie, współcześnie, terazPolish
- hoje em dia, agora, hoje, atualmentePortuguese
- сегодня, теперь, в наши дни, в наше времяRussian
- numer, nu för tiden, numeraSwedish
- тепер, ниніUkrainian
- آج کلUrdu
- dạo này, đời nay, ngày nayVietnamese
Get even more translations for nowadays »
Find a translation for the nowadays definition in other languages:
Select another language: