Definitions for nobly
Random House Webster's College Dictionary
no•ble*ˈnoʊ bəl(adj.; n.)-bler, -blest
(adj.)distinguished by rank or title.
pertaining to persons so distinguished.
of, belonging to, or constituting a hereditary class that has special social or political status in a country or state; aristocratic.
of an exalted moral character or excellence.
of an admirably high quality.
inert; chemically inactive.
(n.)a person of noble birth or rank.
a former gold coin of England.
* Syn: noble , high-minded , magnanimous suggest moral excellence and high ideals. noble implies superior moral qualities and an exalted mind, character, or spirit that scorns the petty, base, or dishonorable: a noble sacrifice.high-minded suggests exalted moral principles, thoughts, or sentiments: a high-minded speech on social reform.magnanimous adds the idea of generosity, shown by a willingness to forgive injuries or overlook insults: The magnanimous ruler granted amnesty to the rebels.
Origin of noble:
1175–1225; < OF < L (g)nōbilis notable, of high rank, from (g)nō(scere) to get to know
in a noble manner
"she has behaved nobly"
In a noble manner.
In the end he died nobly, trying to save the lives of others.
of noble extraction; as, nobly born or descended
in a noble manner; with greatness of soul; heroically; with magnanimity; as, a deed nobly done
Translations for nobly
Kernerman English Multilingual Dictionary
He worked nobly for the cause of peace.
- edel, edelmoedigAfrikaans
- بِصورَةٍ نَبيلَهArabic
- dignamentePortuguese (BR)
- noblemente, con generosidadSpanish
- plemenito, velikodušnoCroatian
- penuh kemuliaanIndonesian
- göfugmannlega, drengilegaIcelandic
- kilniai, garbingaiLithuanian
- dengan hati yang muliaMalay
- op grootmoedige wijzeDutch
- edelt, nobeltNorwegian
- په شرافت سرهPashto
- cu nobleţeRomanian
- благородно; самоотверженноRussian
- şerefli bir şekilde, asilTurkish
- 高尚無私地Chinese (Trad.)
- cao thượngVietnamese
- 高尚地Chinese (Simp.)
Get even more translations for nobly »
Find a translation for the nobly definition in other languages:
Select another language: