Definitions for naivenɑˈiv
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word naive
marked by or showing unaffected simplicity and lack of guile or worldly experience
"a teenager's naive ignorance of life"; "the naive assumption that things can only get better"; "this naive simple creature with wide friendly eyes so eager to believe appearances"
of or created by one without formal training; simple or naive in style
"primitive art such as that by Grandma Moses is often colorful and striking"
uninstructed, unenlightened, naive(adj)
lacking information or instruction
"lamentably unenlightened as to the laws"
uninitiate, uninitiated, naive(adj)
not initiated; deficient in relevant experience
"it seemed a bizarre ceremony to uninitiated western eyes"; "he took part in the experiment as a naive subject"
Lacking experience, wisdom, or judgement.
Surely you're not naive enough to believe adverts!
Produced in a simple, childlike style, deliberately rejecting sophisticated techniques.
I've always liked the naive way in which he ignores all the background detail.
Origin: From naïve, from nativus.
having native or unaffected simplicity; ingenuous; artless; frank; as, naive manners; a naive person; naive and unsophisticated remarks
"Naïve" is a song by British indie rock band The Kooks and is featured on their debut album, Inside In/Inside Out. It was released 27 March 2006 as the fourth single from that album, charting at number five on the UK Singles Chart. The best-selling single of their careers, "Naïve" was also the UK's nineteenth best selling single of 2006. It has also done relatively well in New Zealand, reaching number 15 on the combined sales/airplay RIANZ chart. The song additionally charted in the United States, peaking at number 22 on the Billboard Modern Rock Tracks Chart. Lily Allen did a cover of "Naïve" for a live session on the Jo Whiley show. Allen's version was featured on the soundtrack for the film Angus, Thongs and Perfect Snogging. The Kooks' original version was featured on the soundtrack for the film 17 Again and on the fourth season, episode "Resolve" of the TV show One Tree Hill as well as on its third soundtrack "The Road Mix". The song has also been covered by former Sugababes member Mutya Buena as a B-side for her debut single "Real Girl". It placed at #87 in triple j's Hottest 100 of the Past 20 Years being one of a few songs to debut in the countdown without having made a yearly list beforehand.
The New Hacker's Dictionary
1. Untutored in the perversities of some particular program or system; one who still tries to do things in an intuitive way, rather than the right way (in really good designs these coincide, but most designs aren't ‘really good’ in the appropriate sense). This trait is completely unrelated to general maturity or competence, or even competence at any other specific program. It is a sad commentary on the primitive state of computing that the natural opposite of this term is often claimed to be experienced user but is really more like cynical user. 2. Said of an algorithm that doesn't take advantage of some superior but advanced technique, e.g., the bubble sort. It may imply naivete on the part of the programmer, although there are situations where a naive algorithm is preferred, because it is more important to keep the code comprehensible than to go for maximum performance. “I know the linear search is naive, but in this case the list typically only has half a dozen items.” Compare brute force.
naevi, navie, Evian (brand name)
Translations for naive
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- naïfCatalan, Valencian
- enfoldig, naivDanish
- unbefangen, naivGerman
- ναΐφ, αφελήςGreek
- cándido, ingenuo, naifSpanish
- ساده لوح, خام, ببوPersian
- naïve, naïfFrench
- soineanntaScottish Gaelic
- נָאִיבִי, תָּמִיםHebrew
- պարզամիտ, միամիտArmenian
- 無邪気, あどけないJapanese
- 박직한, 순진한, 우직한Korean
- credulus, simplexLatin
- naivLuxembourgish, Letzeburgesch
- godtroende, naivNorwegian
- naivan, наиванSerbo-Croatian
- blåögd, oskyldig, naivSwedish
Get even more translations for naive »
Find a translation for the naive definition in other languages:
Select another language: