cellular telephone, cellular phone, cellphone, cell, mobile phone(noun)
a hand-held mobile radiotelephone for use in an area divided into small sections, each with its own short-range transmitter/receiver
A portable telephone that connects with the telephone network over radio wave transmission.
A mobile phone is a device that can make and receive telephone calls over a radio link while moving around a wide geographic area. It does so by connecting to a cellular network provided by a mobile phone operator, allowing access to the public telephone network. By contrast, a cordless telephone is used only within the short range of a single, private base station. In addition to telephony, modern mobile phones also support a wide variety of other services such as text messaging, MMS, email, Internet access, short-range wireless communications, business applications, gaming and photography. Mobile phones that offer these and more general computing capabilities are referred to as smartphones. The first hand-held mobile phone was demonstrated by John F. Mitchell and Dr Martin Cooper of Motorola in 1973, using a handset weighing around 2.2 pounds. In 1983, the DynaTAC 8000x was the first to be commercially available. From 1990 to 2011, worldwide mobile phone subscriptions grew from 12.4 million to over 6 billion, penetrating about 87% of the global population and reaching the bottom of the economic pyramid.
A type of phone and product created and designed in various colors, connectivity, ability, hardware, materials, mechanisms, operating system, parts, shapes, sizes, software, styles, technology with a variety of uses and operations according to the manufacturer product design.
Their are a wide variety of mobile phone's created and designed across the world for a variety of purposes and their use, operation and purposes will evolve and change over time.
The numerical value of mobile phone in Chaldean Numerology is: 7
The numerical value of mobile phone in Pythagorean Numerology is: 6
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
Because Nokia was then becoming the number one mobile phone company, other people knew they'd selected ARM to use in mobile phones, and that drove a lot of adoption from other players.
More recently we've been looking at consumer spaces so we're talking to a number of manufacturers of mobile phones and mobile phone components, we want to develop a module small enough to put into mobile devices like phones.
The search engines are no longer kidding around when it comes to mobile optimization, google has released AMP Pages, their tool to allow web designers to quickly optimize their pages for mobile devices, and Apple is building their entire algorithm based on the actions of mobile users, based on their massive mobile phone market share.
Too many parts of the UK regularly suffer from poor mobile coverage leaving them unable to make calls or send texts, government and businesses have been clear about the importance of mobile connectivity, and improved coverage, so this legally binding agreement will give the UK the world-class mobile phone coverage it needs and deserves.
This could be a real game-changer in the fight for human rights and international justice... and provide a solution to the evidentiary challenges surrounding mobile phone footage, it will also allow media outlets to use the footage and remove any doubts regarding authenticity that may have previously prevented them from showing mobile phone videos.
Images & Illustrations of mobile phone
Translations for mobile phone
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- selfoon, sellulêre telefoonAfrikaans
- جوال, مُوبِيلْ, هاتف خلوي, هاتف محمول, هاتف النقال, هاتف متحركArabic
- mobil telefonAzerbaijani
- мабі́льны тэлефо́нBelarusian
- моби́лен телефо́нBulgarian
- মোবাইল ফোনBengali
- mòbilCatalan, Valencian
- mobil, mobilní telefonCzech
- ffôn symudolWelsh
- Mobiltelefon, HandyGerman
- κινητό, κινητό τηλέφωνοGreek
- teléfono móvil, móvil, teléfono celular, celularSpanish
- telefono mugikorBasque
- موبایل, تلفن موبایل, تلفن همراهPersian
- kännykkä, matkapuhelinFinnish
- mobile, cellulaire, téléphone mobile, GSM, portableFrench
- guthán póca, guthán soghluaiste, fón pócaIrish
- móbil, teléfono móbilGalician
- טֶלֶפוֹן סֶלוּלָרי, פלפוןHebrew
- मोबाइल फ़ोन, मोबाइलHindi
- mobil, mobiltelefonHungarian
- բջջային, բջջային հեռախոսArmenian
- telephono mobileInterlingua
- telepon selular, telepon genggamIndonesian
- farsími, GSM-sími, gemsiIcelandic
- cellulare, telefonino, telefono cellulare, telefono mobileItalian
- モバイル, セルフォン, セルホーン, 携帯, 携帯電話Japanese
- ұялы телефон, қалта телефоныKazakh
- 携帶電話, 휴대전화, 핸드폰, 휴대폰Korean
- telefona destan, telefona mobîl, telefona bêtêl, telefona berîkêKurdish
- kellgowser, pellgowsel, klapkodhCornish
- кол телефонKyrgyz
- mobilusis telefonasLithuanian
- mobilais, mobilais tālrunis, mobilais telefonsLatvian
- моби́лен те́лефонMacedonian
- гар утасMongolian
- telefon bimbitMalay
- telefon ċellulari, mowbajl, ċellulariMaltese
- mobieltje, GSM, mobiele telefoonDutch
- mobil, mobiltelefonNorwegian
- biłńjoobałíNavajo, Navaho
- telefon, komórka, telefon komórkowyPolish
- celular, telemóvel, telefone móvel, telefone celularPortuguese
- telefon mobilRomansh
- telefon mobil, celular, mobil, telefon celularRomanian
- моби́льник, со́товый телефо́н, моби́льный телефо́н, со́ткаRussian
- mobilni telefon, мобилни телефонSerbo-Croatian
- ජංගම දුරකථනයSinhala, Sinhalese
- mobilný telefónSlovak
- prenosni telefon, mobilni telefonSlovene
- telefon celularAlbanian
- mobil, mobiltelefonSwedish
- телефони ҳамроҳTajik
- ykjam telefonTurkmen
- teleponong selularTagalog
- cep, cep telefonuTurkish
- кесә телефоныTatar
- мобі́льний телефо́нUkrainian
- موبائل فون, محمولUrdu
- mobil telefonUzbek
- điện thoại cầm tay, điện thoại di độngVietnamese
- telefonöm polovikVolapük
- מאָביל טעלעפֿאָן, צעלקעYiddish
Get even more translations for mobile phone »
Find a translation for the mobile phone definition in other languages:
Select another language:
Discuss these mobile phone definitions with the community:
Word of the Day
Would you like us to send you a FREE new word definition delivered to your inbox daily?
Use the citation below to add this definition to your bibliography:
"mobile phone." Definitions.net. STANDS4 LLC, 2017. Web. 23 Jun 2017. <http://www.definitions.net/definition/mobile phone>.