Definitions for misfortunemɪsˈfɔr tʃən
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word misfortune
Random House Webster's College Dictionary
adverse fortune; bad luck.
an instance of this.
* Syn: misfortune , adversity , affliction refer to an event or circumstance that is hard to bear and beyond one's control. misfortune is any adverse occurrence or situation involving bad luck: She had the misfortune to break her leg.adversity suggests one of a series of misfortunes: Job endured many adversities but kept his faith in God.affliction suggests a misfortune that causes great suffering: Blindness is a severe affliction.
Origin of misfortune:
misfortune, bad luck(noun)
unnecessary and unforeseen trouble resulting from an unfortunate event
misfortune, bad luck, tough luck, ill luck(noun)
an unfortunate state resulting from unfavorable outcomes
Kernerman English Learner's Dictionary
bad luck, or an unlucky situation
I had the misfortune to have my laptop stolen.; Never laugh at the misfortunes of others.
an undesirable event such as an accident
bad fortune or luck; calamity; an evil accident; disaster; mishap; mischance
to happen unluckily or unfortunately; to miscarry; to fail
Misfortune is an Italian fairy tale, from Palermo, collected by Italo Calvino in his Italian Folktales. Another telling of the tale appears under the title Unfortunate in A Book of Enchantments and Curses, by Ruth Manning-Sanders.
Translations for misfortune
Kernerman English Multilingual Dictionary
(a piece of) bad luck
I had the misfortune to break my leg.
- سوء حَظArabic
- лош късметBulgarian
- infelicidadePortuguese (BR)
- das UnglückGerman
- δυστυχία, κακοτυχίαGreek
- חוֹסֶר מַזָלHebrew
- nesreća, nezgodaCroatian
- uhell, ond skjebneNorwegian
- بد مرغىPashto
- ghinion, nenorocireRomanian
- olycka, missöde, oturSwedish
- 不幸Chinese (Trad.)
- нещастя; невдачаUkrainian
- بد قسمتیUrdu
- điều không mayVietnamese
- 不幸Chinese (Simp.)
Get even more translations for misfortune »
Find a translation for the misfortune definition in other languages:
Select another language: