meeting, group meeting(noun)
a formally arranged gathering
"next year the meeting will be in Chicago"; "the meeting elected a chairperson"
meeting, get together(noun)
a small informal social gathering
"there was an informal meeting in my living room"
a casual or unexpected convergence
"he still remembers their meeting in Paris"; "there was a brief encounter in the hallway"
meeting, coming together(noun)
the social act of assembling for some common purpose
"his meeting with the salesmen was the high point of his day"
merging, meeting, coming together(noun)
the act of joining together as one
"the merging of the two groups occurred quickly"; "there was no meeting of minds"
a place where things merge or flow together (especially rivers)
"Pittsburgh is located at the confluence of the Allegheny and Monongahela rivers"
A gathering of people/parties for a purpose.
We need to have a meeting about that soon.
The people at such a gathering, as a collective.
What has the meeting decided.
An encounter between people, even accidental.
They came together in a chance meeting on the way home from work.
A place or instance of junction or intersection.
Earthquakes occur at the meeting of tectonic plates.
a coming together; an assembling; as, the meeting of Congress
a junction, crossing, or union; as, the meeting of the roads or of two rivers
a congregation; a collection of people; a convention; as, a large meeting; an harmonius meeting
an assembly for worship; as, to attend meeting on Sunday; -- in England, applied distinctively and disparagingly to the worshiping assemblies of Dissenters
In a meeting, two or more people come together to discuss one or more topics, often in a formal setting.
British National Corpus
Spoken Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'meeting' in Spoken Corpus Frequency: #629
Written Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'meeting' in Written Corpus Frequency: #497
Rank popularity for the word 'meeting' in Nouns Frequency: #160
The numerical value of meeting in Chaldean Numerology is: 9
The numerical value of meeting in Pythagorean Numerology is: 1
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
The grave is the general meeting place.
Love is the delightful interval between meeting a beautiful girl and discovering that she looks like a haddock.
The meeting was presented not as a meeting to endorse but a meeting to engage in dialogue, the Preachers of L.A.
Each friend represents a world in us, a world possibly not born until they arrive, and it is only by this meeting that a new world is born.
I'll be meeting with Prime Minister Netanyahu either in Germany or in the region, and I will be meeting with President Abbas and meeting with [Jordanian] King Abdullah and others.
Images & Illustrations of meeting
Translations for meeting
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- اِجْتِماع, مَجْلِسArabic
- reunió, trobadaCatalan, Valencian
- zasedání, setkání, shromáždění, účastník, schůzeCzech
- Teilnehmer, Sitzung, Versammlung, Zusammenkunft, Beratung, Besprechung, Treffen, TreffpunktGerman
- reunión, encuentroSpanish
- نشست, برخورد, همایش, دیدار, انجمنPersian
- tapaaminen, kokous, yhtymäkohta, kohtaaminen, palaveri, sauma, risteyskohtaFinnish
- rencontre, réunionFrench
- coinneamh, coinneachadhScottish Gaelic
- मिलन, सभा, बैठकHindi
- tárgyalás, találkozó, találkozás, megbeszélésHungarian
- ժողով, հավաքույթArmenian
- temu, pertemuanIndonesian
- kunveno, asemblajo, asemblo, renkontroIdo
- incrocio, incontro, riunioneItalian
- 会, 会合, ミーティングJapanese
- کۆبوونهوه, ئهنجومهنKurdish
- congregatio, contio, occursusLatin
- средба, состанок, собир, меѓаMacedonian
- beraad, samenkomst, raakvlak, ontmoetingsplaats, treffen, bijeenkomst, vergadering, ontmoeting, zitting, overleg, raakpuntDutch
- møteNorwegian Nynorsk
- reunião, encontroPortuguese
- совещание, встреча, собрание, пересечение, заседание, стыкRussian
- मिलन, सभाSanskrit
- sretaj, susret, sretSerbo-Croatian
- بیٹھک, سبھاUrdu
Get even more translations for meeting »
Find a translation for the meeting definition in other languages:
Select another language: