Definitions for meetmit
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word meet
meet, sports meeting(adj)
a meeting at which a number of athletic contests are held
being precisely fitting and right
"it is only meet that she should be seated first"
meet, run into, encounter, run across, come across, see(verb)
"I'll probably see you at the meeting"; "How nice to see you again!"
meet, get together(verb)
get together socially or for a specific purpose
be adjacent or come together
"The lines converge at this point"
meet, satisfy, fill, fulfill, fulfil(verb)
fill or meet a want or need
meet, fit, conform to(verb)
satisfy a condition or restriction
"Does this paper meet the requirements for the degree?"
meet, match, cope with(verb)
satisfy or fulfill
"meet a need"; "this job doesn't match my dreams"
meet, gather, assemble, forgather, foregather(verb)
collect in one place
"We assembled in the church basement"; "Let's gather in the dining room"
get to know; get acquainted with
"I met this really handsome guy at a bar last night!"; "we met in Singapore"
meet by design; be present at the arrival of
"Can you meet me at the train station?"
meet, encounter, play, take on(verb)
contend against an opponent in a sport, game, or battle
"Princeton plays Yale this weekend"; "Charlie likes to play Mary"
meet, encounter, receive(verb)
experience as a reaction
"My proposal met with much opposition"
undergo or suffer
"meet a violent death"; "suffer a terrible fate"
touch, adjoin, meet, contact(verb)
be in direct physical contact with; make contact
"The two buildings touch"; "Their hands touched"; "The wire must not contact the metal cover"; "The surfaces contact at this point"
to join, or come in contact with; esp., to come in contact with by approach from an opposite direction; to come upon or against, front to front, as distinguished from contact by following and overtaking
to come in collision with; to confront in conflict; to encounter hostilely; as, they met the enemy and defeated them; the ship met opposing winds and currents
to come into the presence of without contact; to come close to; to intercept; to come within the perception, influence, or recognition of; as, to meet a train at a junction; to meet carriages or persons in the street; to meet friends at a party; sweet sounds met the ear
to perceive; to come to a knowledge of; to have personal acquaintance with; to experience; to suffer; as, the eye met a horrid sight; he met his fate
to come up to; to be even with; to equal; to match; to satisfy; to ansver; as, to meet one's expectations; the supply meets the demand
to come together by mutual approach; esp., to come in contact, or into proximity, by approach from opposite directions; to join; to come face to face; to come in close relationship; as, we met in the street; two lines meet so as to form an angle
to come together with hostile purpose; to have an encounter or conflict
to assemble together; to congregate; as, Congress meets on the first Monday of December
to come together by mutual concessions; hence, to agree; to harmonize; to unite
an assembling together; esp., the assembling of huntsmen for the hunt; also, the persons who so assemble, and the place of meeting
suitable; fit; proper; appropriate; qualified; convenient
Origin: [OE. meten, AS. mtan, fr. mt, gemt, a meeting; akin to OS. mtian to meet, Icel. maeta, Goth. gamtjan. See Moot, v. t.]
Join and meet
In a partially ordered set P, the join and meet of a subset S are respectively the supremum of S, denoted ⋁S, and infimum of S, denoted ⋀S. In general, the join and meet of a subset of a partially ordered set need not exist; when they do exist, they are elements of P. Join and meet can also be defined as a commutative, associative and idempotent partial binary operation on pairs of elements from P. If a and b are elements from P, the join is denoted as a ∨ b and the meet is denoted a ∧ b. Join and meet are symmetric duals with respect to order inversion. The join/meet of a subset of a totally ordered set is simply its maximal/minimal element. A partially ordered set in which all pairs have a join is a join-semilattice. Dually, a partially ordered set in which all pairs have a meet is meet-semilattice. A partially ordered set that is both a join-semilattice and a meet-semilattice is a lattice. A lattice in which every subset, not just every pair, possesses a meet and a join is a complete lattice. It is also possible to define a partial lattice, in which not all pairs have a meet or join but the operations satisfy certain axioms.
British National Corpus
Spoken Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'meet' in Spoken Corpus Frequency: #706
Written Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'meet' in Written Corpus Frequency: #817
Rank popularity for the word 'meet' in Verbs Frequency: #60
Translations for meet
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- يَلْتَقِي, تقابل, يلقى, يصادف, يلاقي, صادف, التقى, لاقى, اِلْتَقَى, لقيArabic
- conèixerCatalan, Valencian
- potkat, splnitCzech
- cyfarfod (â), cwrdd, cwrdd (â)Welsh
- opfylde, mødes, møde, træffeDanish
- nachkommen, entsprechen, treffen, begegnen, gerechtwerdenGerman
- kpe, tuEwe
- συναντιέμαι, συναντώ, γνωρίζωGreek
- kunveni, renkontiĝi, renkontiEsperanto
- llenar, conocer, encontrarse, encontrarSpanish
- دیدار کردنPersian
- tavata, kohdataFinnish
- faire la connaissance, donner rendez-vous, rencontrer, retrouver, rejoindre, réunir, prendre en charge, affronter, heurter, satisfaireFrench
- tachairScottish Gaelic
- találkozik, nekiütközik, megismerkedik, érintkezik, megfelelHungarian
- soddisfare, ottemperare, incontrare, conformarsi, incontrarsiItalian
- 会う, 待ち合わせる, 遭う, お目にかかる, 遭遇Japanese
- satisfacio, coeo, occurro, nanciscorLatin
- sutikti, susitiktiLithuanian
- treffen, leren kennen, ontmoeten, vervullen, afspreken, rakenDutch
- møteNorwegian Nynorsk
- poznawać, spotkać, widzieć się, spotykać się, zobaczyć się, spotkać się, poznaćPolish
- encontrar, satisfazerPortuguese
- întâlni, atingeRomanian
- встречаться, знакомиться, собираться, сталкиваться, встречать, соединиться, пересекаться, сходиться, встреча́ть, отвечать, встретить, встре́тить, соединяться, сойтись, подходящий, встретиться, познакомиться, собраться, столкнуться, пересечьсяRussian
- срести, srestiSerbo-Croatian
- träffa, lämplig, passande, möta, uppfylla, råka, tillbörligSwedish
- కలుసుకొను, ఏర్పాటుTelugu
- rastlamak, karşılamak, buluşmak, kesişmek, rastlaşmak, karşılaşmakTurkish
- зустріча́ти, зустрі́тиUkrainian
Get even more translations for meet »
Find a translation for the meet definition in other languages:
Select another language: