Definitions for meaningˈmi nɪŋ
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word meaning
Random House Webster's College Dictionary
what is intended to be or actually is expressed or indicated; import:
the three meanings of a word.
the end, purpose, or significance of something.
(adj.)intentioned (usu. used in combination):
a well-meaning person.
a meaning look.
* Syn: meaning , sense , significance , purport denote that which is expressed or indicated by language or action. meaning is general, describing that which is intended to be, or actually is, expressed: the meaning of a statement.sense often refers to a particular meaning of a word or phrase: The word “run” has many senses.sense may also be used of meaning that is intelligible or reasonable: There's no sense in what you say.significance refers to a meaning that is only implied: the significance of a glance. It may also refer to a meaning the importance of which is not immediately perceived: We did not grasp its significance until years later.purport usu. refers to the essential meaning of something complicated: the purport of a theory.
Origin of meaning:
meaning, significance, signification, import(noun)
the message that is intended or expressed or signified
"what is the meaning of this sentence"; "the significance of a red traffic light"; "the signification of Chinese characters"; "the import of his announcement was ambiguous"
the idea that is intended
"What is the meaning of this proverb?"
meaning(a), pregnant, significant(adj)
rich in significance or implication
"a meaning look"
Kernerman English Learner's Dictionary
(of a word) the object, action, idea, etc. it represents
The word 'set' has many meanings.; the meaning of the song
that which is meant or intended; intent; purpose; aim; object; as, a mischievous meaning was apparent
that which is signified, whether by act lanquage; signification; sence; import; as, the meaning of a hint
sense; power of thinking
In linguistics, meaning is what the source or sender expresses, communicates, or conveys in their message to the observer or receiver, and what the receiver infers from the current context.
British National Corpus
Spoken Corpus Frequency
Word rank popularity for 'meaning' among Spoken Corpus Frequency: #1536
Written Corpus Frequency
Word rank popularity for 'meaning' among Written Corpus Frequency: #4138
Word rank popularity for 'meaning' among Nouns Frequency: #592
Translations for meaning
Kernerman English Multilingual Dictionary
(of a look, glance etc) showing a certain feeling or giving a certain message
The teacher gave the boy a meaning look when he arrived late.
- ذو مَغْزىArabic
- significativoPortuguese (BR)
- όλο σημασίαGreek
- معنی دارFarsi
- בַּעַל מַשמָעוּתHebrew
- significativo, eloquenteItalian
- 의미 심장한Korean
- zīmīgs, izteiksmīgsLatvian
- معنی دارPersian
- معنى لرلPashto
- многозначительный; выразительныйRussian
- 意有所指的Chinese (Trad.)
- багатозначний; значущийUkrainian
- کچھ ظاہر کرنے کے انداز میںUrdu
- có ý nghĩaVietnamese
- 有含意的Chinese (Simp.)
Get even more translations for meaning »
Find a translation for the meaning definition in other languages:
Select another language: