Definitions for maverickˈmæv ər ɪk, ˈmæv rɪk
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word maverick
someone who exhibits great independence in thought and action
an unbranded range animal (especially a stray calf); belongs to the first person who puts a brand on it
irregular, maverick, unorthodox(adj)
independent in behavior or thought
"she led a somewhat irregular private life"; "maverick politicians"
An unbranded range animal.
One who does not abide by rules.
One who creates or uses unconventional and/or controversial ideas or practices.
Florence Nightingale would have been perceived as a maverick during her early career, because she was prioritizing hygiene when everybody else involved in healthcare was focused on other things, such as surgery and pills. (Source: Edzard Ernst and Simon Singh, Trick or Treatment, 2008, p. 36-37.)
A queen and a jack as a starting hand in Texas hold u2019em
Showing independence in thoughts or actions.
in the southwestern part of the united States, a bullock or heifer that has not been branded, and is unclaimed or wild; -- said to be from Maverick, the name of a cattle owner in Texas who neglected to brand his cattle
Maverick is an American Western television series with comedic overtones created by Roy Huggins. The show ran from September 22, 1957 to July 8, 1962 on ABC and stars James Garner as Bret Maverick, a cagey, articulate cardsharp. Eight episodes into the first season, he was joined by Jack Kelly as his brother Bart. The Mavericks were poker players from Texas who traveled all over the American Old West and on Mississippi riverboats, constantly getting into and out of life-threatening trouble of one sort or another, usually involving money, women, or both. They would typically find themselves weighing a financial windfall against a moral dilemma. More often than not, their consciences trumped their wallets. When Garner left the series after the third season due to a legal dispute, Roger Moore was added to the cast as their cousin Beau. Robert Colbert appeared later in the fourth season as a third Maverick brother, Brent. No more than two of the series leads ever appeared together in the same episode, and usually only one. The show was part of the Warner Bros. array of Westerns, which included Cheyenne, Colt .45, Lawman, Bronco, The Alaskans, and Sugarfoot. Maverick can currently be seen weekday mornings at 8am ET on the Encore Westerns Channel.
Chambers 20th Century Dictionary
mav′ėr-ik, n. (U.S.) an animal found straying without an owner's brand, esp. a strayed calf: anything dishonestly obtained.—v.t. to seize without legal claim. [From Samuel Maverick, a Texas cattle-raiser.]
The numerical value of maverick in Chaldean Numerology is: 6
The numerical value of maverick in Pythagorean Numerology is: 1
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
They were awesome, they had to dig out under Maverick to release the suction the clay had on him.
The fears are that (the President) could still influence policy management with an insider who is a political maverick with radical views.
I ’d count on many outraged or maverick-minded creatives and professionals seeking to push buttons even further in the wake of this event.
Except in a few well-publicized instances (enough to lend credence to the iconography painted on the walls of the media), the rigorous practice of rugged individualism usually leads to poverty, ostracism and disgrace. The rugged individualist is too often mistaken for the misfit, the maverick, the spoilsport, the sore thumb.
Images & Illustrations of maverick
Translations for maverick
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- individualistaCatalan, Valencian
- nonkonformista, nepřizpůsobivý, nezapadající, volnomyšlenkář, individualistický, nekonformní, neoznačkovaný dobytek, podivínský, podivínCzech
- Querkopf, Individualist, individualistischGerman
- disidente, rebelde, cimarrónSpanish
- isemõtleja, individualist, [[isemõtleja]] [[individualist]]Estonian
- [[merkitsemätön]] [[eläin]], riippumaton, itsenäinenFinnish
- non-conformiste, excentrique, individualiste, anticonformiste, franc-tireur, dissidentFrench
- गैर पारंपरिकHindi
- individualista, függetlenHungarian
- indipendente, individualista, anticonformista, cane sciolto, bradoItalian
- eigenwijs, nonconformist, individualistDutch
- wolny duch, indywidualistaPolish
- inconformista, rebelde, excêntrico, excêntrica, independente, dissidentePortuguese
- инакомыслящий, диссидент, [[неклеймёный]] [[телёнок]], нонконформистка, диссидентка, индивидуалист, нонконформист, вольнодумец, свободомыслящий, индивидуалисткаRussian
- svojèglav, својѐглавSerbo-Croatian
Get even more translations for maverick »
Find a translation for the maverick definition in other languages:
Select another language: