Definitions for masturbationˌmæs tərˈbeɪ ʃən
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word masturbation
manual stimulation of the genital organs (of yourself or another) for sexual pleasure
Manual erotic stimulation of the genitals or other erotic regions, often to orgasm, either by oneself or a partner.
Origin: From masturbation, from masturbor, conjectured to have originated from a contraction of manus and turbo.
Origin: [L. masturbatus, p. p. of masturbari to practice onanism: cf. F. masturbation.]
Masturbation is the sexual stimulation of one's own genitals, usually to the point of orgasm. The stimulation can be performed using the hands, fingers, everyday objects, or dedicated sex toys. Mutual masturbation, which is masturbation with a partner, can take the form of non-penetrative sex. Studies have found that masturbation is frequent in humans of both sexes and all ages, although there is variation. Various medical and psychological benefits have been attributed to a healthy attitude to sex in general and to masturbation in particular, and no causal relationship is known between masturbation and any form of mental or physical disorder. Acts of masturbation have been depicted in art worldwide since prehistory. While there was a period when it was subject to medical censure and social conservatism, it is considered a normal part of healthy life today. It is commonly mentioned in popular music as well as on television, in films and in literature. Masturbation can also take place for the purpose of assisted reproduction, for instance in the case of in vitro fertilization.
U.S. National Library of Medicine
Sexual stimulation or gratification of the self.
Translations for masturbation
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- استمناء, عادة سريةArabic
- onanizm, kəfləməAzerbaijani
- হস্তমৈথুন, হাত মারাBengali
- palla, masturbacióCatalan, Valencian
- onanie, masturbaceCzech
- onani, masturbationDanish
- Selbstbefriedigung, Onanie, MasturbationGerman
- μαλακία, αυνανισμόςGreek
- paja, masturbaciónSpanish
- masturbaatio, itsetyydytysFinnish
- masturbation, branlette, onanismeFrench
- lámhchartadh, glacaireachtIrish
- fèin-bhrodadh, brodadhScottish Gaelic
- maszturbáció, önkielégítésHungarian
- coli, masturbasi, onani, cokil, ngocokIndonesian
- sjálfsfróun, rúnkIcelandic
- マスターベーション, 自慰, オナニーJapanese
- ნძრევა, მასტურბაციაGeorgian
- 자위, 마스터베이션, 딸딸이Korean
- masturbasi, pelancapanMalay
- masturbatie, zelfbevredigingDutch
- masturbacja, onanizmPolish
- masturbație, masturbareRomanian
- онанизм, рукоблудие, мастурбацияRussian
- рукоблуд, samoblud, мастурбација, manustupracija, самозадовољавање, дркање, онанија, самоблуд, drkanje, мануступрација, onanija, masturbacija, samozadovoljavanje, rukobludSerbo-Croatian
- masturbácia, onania, ukájanieSlovak
- masturbiranje, masturbácija, samozadovoljevanjeSlovene
- சுய இன்பம்Tamil
- masturbasyon, jakol, pagsalsalTagalog
- thủ dâmVietnamese
Get even more translations for masturbation »
Find a translation for the masturbation definition in other languages:
Select another language:
Discuss these masturbation definitions with the community:
Word of the Day
Would you like us to send you a FREE new word definition delivered to your inbox daily?
Use the citation below to add this definition to your bibliography:
"masturbation." Definitions.net. STANDS4 LLC, 2015. Web. 27 Feb. 2015. <http://www.definitions.net/definition/masturbation>.