Definitions for manlyˈmæn li
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word manly
Random House Webster's College Dictionary
man•ly*ˈmæn li(adj.; adv.)-li•er, -li•est
(adj.)having qualities traditionally ascribed to men; virile; not feminine or boyish.
pertaining to or suitable for males:
(adv.)in the manner of, or befitting, a man.
* Syn.: manly, manful, mannish mean having traits or qualities considered typical of or appropriate to adult males. manly , a term of approval, suggests such admirable traits as maturity and steadiness: a manly acceptance of responsibility.manful , also an approving term, stresses such qualities as courage and strength: a manful effort to overcome great odds.mannish is most often used, esp. derogatorily, in referring to the qualities or accouterments of a woman considered more appropriate to a man: the mannish abruptness of her speech; She wore a severely mannish suit.
Origin of manly:
manly, manful, manlike(adj)
possessing qualities befitting a man
male, manful, manlike, manly, virile(adverb)
characteristic of a man
"a deep male voice"; "manly sports"
in a manful manner; with qualities thought to befit a man
"having said her say Peggy manfully shouldered her burden and prepared to break up yet another home"
Having the characteristics of a man.
having qualities becoming to a man; not childish or womanish; manlike, esp. brave, courageous, resolute, noble
in a manly manner; with the courage and fortitude of a manly man; as, to act manly
Manly is a city in Worth County, Iowa, United States. The population was 1,323 at the 2010 census. It is part of the Mason City Micropolitan Statistical Area.
Translations for manly
Kernerman English Multilingual Dictionary
having the qualities thought desirable in a man, ie strength, determination, courage etc
He is strong and manly.
- másculoPortuguese (BR)
- αρρενωπός, αντρίκιοςGreek
- varonil, virilSpanish
- पुरुषोचित, वीरHindi
- mandig, karslig, virilNorwegian
- mężny, męskiPolish
- bărbătesc; curajosRomanian
- erkek(çe), mert(çe)Turkish
- 男子氣概的Chinese (Trad.)
- мужній, відважнийUkrainian
- مردانہ پسندیدہ خواص، ہمتUrdu
- nam tínhVietnamese
- 男子气概的Chinese (Simp.)
Get even more translations for manly »
Find a translation for the manly definition in other languages:
Select another language: