Definitions for magnifying glass
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word magnifying glass
hand glass, simple microscope, magnifying glass(noun)
light microscope consisting of a single convex lens that is used to produce an enlarged image
"the magnifying glass was invented by Roger Bacon in 1250"
An instrument made of convex glass, used to magnify.
A magnifying glass is a convex lens that is used to produce a magnified image of an object. The lens is usually mounted in a frame with a handle. A sheet magnifier consists of many very narrow concentric ring-shaped lenses, such that the combination acts as a single lens but is much thinner. This arrangement is known as a Fresnel lens. The magnifying glass is an icon of detective fiction, particularly that of Sherlock Holmes.
Images & Illustrations of magnifying glass
Translations for magnifying glass
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- forstørrelsesglas, lupDanish
- Vergrößerungsglas, LupeGerman
- lupeo, grandiga vitroEsperanto
- luuppi, suurennuslasiFinnish
- lente d'ingrandimentoItalian
- ルーペ, 拡大鏡, 虫眼鏡Japanese
- LuppLuxembourgish, Letzeburgesch
- karaihe whakanuiMāori
- томруулагч шилMongolian
- suryakanta, kanta pembesarMalay
- tózis ntsaago ádaʼaleʼé, tózis yéego bee hootʼíní, tsésǫʼ áhánídę́ę́ʼ niiniłígííNavajo, Navaho
- увеличительное стекло, лупаRussian
- lupa, uveličavajuće staklo, лупа, увеличавајуће стаклоSerbo-Croatian
- pertavsız, büyüteçTurkish
Get even more translations for magnifying glass »
Find a translation for the magnifying glass definition in other languages:
Select another language:
Discuss these magnifying glass definitions with the community:
Word of the Day
Would you like us to send you a FREE new word definition delivered to your inbox daily?
Use the citation below to add this definition to your bibliography:
"magnifying glass." Definitions.net. STANDS4 LLC, 2015. Web. 13 Oct. 2015. <http://www.definitions.net/definition/magnifying glass>.