Definitions for lurelʊər
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word lure
lure, enticement, come-on(noun)
qualities that attract by seeming to promise some kind of reward
bait, come-on, hook, lure, sweetener(noun)
anything that serves as an enticement
bait, decoy, lure(verb)
something used to lure fish or other animals into danger so they can be trapped or killed
entice, lure, tempt(verb)
provoke someone to do something through (often false or exaggerated) promises or persuasion
"He lured me into temptation"
Something that tempts or attracts, especially one with a promise of reward or pleasure.
An artificial bait attached to a fishing line to attract fish.
A bunch of feathers attached to a line, used in falconry to recall the hawk.
To attract by temptation etc.; to entice.
To recall a hawk with a lure.
Origin: lure, from loirre (Modern French leurre), from lothr, from lōþr-. Compare English allure, from Old French.
a contrivance somewhat resembling a bird, and often baited with raw meat; -- used by falconers in recalling hawks
any enticement; that which invites by the prospect of advantage or pleasure; a decoy
a velvet smoothing brush
to draw to the lure; hence, to allure or invite by means of anything that promises pleasure or advantage; to entice; to attract
to recall a hawk or other animal
Lure is an American Thoroughbred racehorse. Bred and owned by Claiborne Farm in Paris, Kentucky, he is a son of the leading stallion Danzig, who in turn was sired by Hall of Famer and prominent sire Northern Dancer. He was out of the mare Endear by another Hall of Famer, Alydar. Trained by Shug McGaughey, Lure is best known as the turf racing specialist who won back-to-back runnings of the Breeders' Cup Mile. After winning three graded stakes races in 1994, Lure returned to again compete in the Breeders' Cup Mile but finished ninth. He was then retired to stand at stud at Claiborne Farm and in 2004 was pensioned due to poor fertility.
Translations for lure
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- lokkemad, lokke, blink, lokkemiddelDanish
- Anlockungsmittel, anlocken, Köder, Lure, locken, Lockung, Reiz, Lockvogel, Lockmittel, ködernGerman
- atractivo, atraer, seducir, cebo, encantar, anzuelo, encantoSpanish
- houkutin, houkutella, vieheFinnish
- leurrer, attirer, leurre, attrait, séduireFrench
- esca, adescare, tentazione, attrazione, ammaliare, sedurre, tentare, attrattiva, incantare, richiamo, lusingaItalian
- 誘い出す, 誘い込む, 誘惑Japanese
- lokmiddel, lokkertjeDutch
- завлекать, приманивать, приманка, соблазнять, блесна, манитьRussian
- agn, beteSwedish
- గాలము, ఊరించు, ఎరTelugu
- aklını çelmek, çığırtkan, kandırmak, cezbetmek, yemlemek, çekmek, ayartmak, yem, câzibeTurkish
Get even more translations for lure »
Find a translation for the lure definition in other languages:
Select another language: