expression, look, aspect, facial expression, face(noun)
the feelings expressed on a person's face
"a sad expression"; "a look of triumph"; "an angry face"
look, looking, looking at(noun)
the act of directing the eyes toward something and perceiving it visually
"he went out to have a look"; "his look was fixed on her eyes"; "he gave it a good looking at"; "his camera does his looking for him"
"I don't like the looks of this place"
spirit, tone, feel, feeling, flavor, flavour, look, smell(verb)
the general atmosphere of a place or situation and the effect that it has on people
"the feel of the city excited him"; "a clergyman improved the tone of the meeting"; "it had the smell of treason"
perceive with attention; direct one's gaze towards
"She looked over the expanse of land"; "Look at your child!"; "Look--a deer in the backyard!"
look, appear, seem(verb)
give a certain impression or have a certain outward aspect
"She seems to be sleeping"; "This appears to be a very difficult problem"; "This project looks fishy"; "They appeared like people who had not eaten or slept for a long time"
have a certain outward or facial expression
"How does she look?"; "The child looks unhappy"; "She looked pale after the surgery"
search or seek
"We looked all day and finally found the child in the forest"; "Look elsewhere for the perfect gift!"
front, look, face(verb)
be oriented in a certain direction, often with respect to another reference point; be opposite to
"The house looks north"; "My backyard look onto the pond"; "The building faces the park"
attend, take care, look, see(verb)
take charge of or deal with
"Could you see about lunch?"; "I must attend to this matter"; "She took care of this business"
convey by one's expression
"She looked her devotion to me"
expect, look, await, wait(verb)
look forward to the probable occurrence of
"We were expecting a visit from our relatives"; "She is looking to a promotion"; "he is waiting to be drafted"
accord in appearance with
"You don't look your age!"
count, bet, depend, look, calculate, reckon(verb)
have faith or confidence in
"you can count on me to help you any time"; "Look to your friends for support"; "You can bet on that!"; "Depend on your family in times of crisis"
The action of looking, an attempt to see.
Letu2019s have a look under the hood of the car.
Physical appearance, visual impression.
A facial expression.
To try to see, to pay attention to with oneu2019s eyes.
To appear, to seem.
It looks as if itu2019s going to rain soon.
To give an appearance of being.
That painting looks nice.
To search for, to try to find.
To face or present a view.
The hotel looks over the valleys of the HinduKush.
To expect or anticipate.
I look to each hour for my loveru2019s arrival.
To express or manifest by a look.
To make sure of, to see to.
Origin: From loken, lokien, from locian, from lōkōnan (compare loaitsje, loeken ( leuk), dialectal lugen), from lAg- (compare llygat, Tocharian AB läk, लक्षति).
to direct the eyes for the purpose of seeing something; to direct the eyes toward an object; to observe with the eyes while keeping them directed; -- with various prepositions, often in a special or figurative sense. See Phrases below
to direct the attention (to something); to consider; to examine; as, to look at an action
to seem; to appear; to have a particular appearance; as, the patient looks better; the clouds look rainy
to have a particular direction or situation; to face; to front
in the imperative: see; behold; take notice; take care; observe; -- used to call attention
to show one's self in looking, as by leaning out of a window; as, look out of the window while I speak to you. Sometimes used figuratively
to await the appearance of anything; to expect; to anticipate
to look at; to turn the eyes toward
to seek; to search for
to influence, overawe, or subdue by looks or presence as, to look down opposition
to express or manifest by a look
the act of looking; a glance; a sight; a view; -- often in certain phrases; as, to have, get, take, throw, or cast, a look
expression of the eyes and face; manner; as, a proud or defiant look
hence; Appearance; aspect; as, the house has a gloomy look; the affair has a bad look
Origin: [OE. loken, AS. lcian; akin to G. lugen, OHG. luogn.]
Look is a French manufacturer of bicycle frames, equipment, and apparel.
Chambers 20th Century Dictionary
lōōk, v.i. to turn the eye toward so as to see; to direct the attention to: to watch: to seem: to face, as a house: (B.) to expect.—v.t. to express by a look: to influence by look.—n. the act of looking or seeing: sight: air of the face: appearance.—imp. or interj. see: behold.—ns. Look′er, one who looks; Look′er-on, one that looks on, a mere spectator; Look′ing, seeing: search or searching; Look′ing-for (B.), expectation; Look′ing-glass, a glass which reflects the image of the person looking into it, a mirror; Look′out, a careful watching for: an elevated place from which to observe: one engaged in watching.—Look about, to be on the watch; Look after, to attend to or take care of: (B.) to expect; Look alive (coll.), to bestir one's self; Look down on, to treat with indifference, to despise; Look for, to search for, to expect; Look into, to inspect closely; Look on, to regard, view, think; Look out, to watch: to select; Look over, to examine cursorily: to overlook or pass over anything; Look through, to penetrate with the eye or the understanding; Look to, to take care of: to depend on; Look up, to search for: (coll.) to call upon, visit.—Have a look in (slang), to have a chance. [A.S. lócian, to look.]
Dictionary of Military and Associated Terms
In mine warfare, a period during which a mine circuit is receptive of an influence.
British National Corpus
Spoken Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'look' in Spoken Corpus Frequency: #244
Written Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'look' in Written Corpus Frequency: #132
Rank popularity for the word 'look' in Nouns Frequency: #358
Rank popularity for the word 'look' in Verbs Frequency: #18
The numerical value of look in Chaldean Numerology is: 1
The numerical value of look in Pythagorean Numerology is: 8
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
When I look at the world I'm pessimistic, but when I look at people I am optimistic.
I look at my myself and see a stone, I look at my friends and see gold, But I look at you, and see a gem.
Look here, not there — look at our wonderful celebration, and don't look at why I was gone for 11 days,'.
A cat will look down to a man. A dog will look up to a man. But a pig will look you straight in the eye and see his equal.
I used to always think that I'd look back on us crying and laugh, but, I never thought I'd look back on us laughing and cry.
Images & Illustrations of look
Translations for look
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- ينظر, المَرْأى, المَرْآة, نظر, بحثArabic
- паглядзе́ць, глядзе́цьBelarusian
- външност, гле́дамBulgarian
- cop d'ull, buscar, semblar, mirar, encarar, mirada, ullada, cercarCatalan, Valencian
- vypadat, pohled, dívat, vzhled, podívatCzech
- se ud, kikke, se efter, virke, kikke efter, synes, seDanish
- hinsehen, schaut, blicken, sehen, Blick, aussehen, scheinen, guggen, Fratze, kucken, gucken, erwarten, hinschauen, schauen, suchenGerman
- kpɔ, di, dzeEwe
- όψη, βλέμμα, ψάχνω, κοιτάζω, ματιά, βλέπω, φαίνομαιGreek
- aspekto, rigardiEsperanto
- dar, ojeada, parecer, aspecto, mirar, mirada, esperar, buscar, vistazoSpanish
- pilk, vaatamaEstonian
- نگریستن, جستن, نگاه کردنPersian
- sijaita, vaikuttaa, katse, katsoa, näyttää, ilme, katsominen, odottaa, etsiä, ulkonäköFinnish
- hyggja, leita, lítaFaroese
- sembler, air, chercher, avoir l'air, regard, donner sur, paraître, regarderFrench
- féach, amharcIrish
- coimhead, seall, amhairc, coltas, bi coltach, fiamh, sùilScottish Gaelic
- חיפש, ראה, הסתכל, מראה, הביט, מבט, נראהHebrew
- tűnik, néz, kinézet, látszik, tekintet, kinézHungarian
- արտաքին, նայելArmenian
- regardar, aspektarIdo
- kíkja, sýnast, líta út, sjá, virðast, líta, horfa, leitaIcelandic
- occhiataccia, cercare, sguardo, sembrare, occhiata, guardare, aspetto, apparireItalian
- 探す, 拝見, 見てみる, 向かう, 見る, 観る, 求める, 見える, ご覧Japanese
- ძებნა, ყურებაGeorgian
- មើល, រកមើល, ដូចជាKhmer
- 마주하다, 찾다, 보다, 구하다, 보이다, 향하다Korean
- تهمهشاکردن, وا دیاره, گهراندن, سهیرکردنKurdish
- quaero, pareo, video, expecto, spectare, do, videor, simuloLatin
- бара, поглед, гле́да, изглед, гледа, изгледаMacedonian
- харах, харагдахMongolian
- blik, zoeken, uiterlijk, uitzicht, uitzien, lijken, over, op, kijken, stijl, look, alsDutch
- leita, lita, leiteNorwegian Nynorsk
- blikk, oppsøke, søke, synes, utseende, skue, uttrykk, se ut, se, leite, se etterNorwegian
- wyglądać, wygląd, patrzeć, popatrzećPolish
- resguardar, parecer, olhar, aspecto, olhada, esperar, procurar, verPortuguese
- dar en'igleida, vurdar, tgitar, egliada, tschartger, vesair, tscharcar, dar egn tgit, öglieda, verer, antschertgear, vzair, encurir, dar ün'ögliada, iglieada, vaser, tschercher, dar in cuc, tschercar, duncrir, dar in tgit, igleida, vair, ancurir, veir, tscherchar, der ün'öglieda, guardar, tschertgar, tschütter, tschertgan, veser, dar in'egliada, tschartgear, sguard, tgittarRomansh
- aspect, părea, privi, uitaRomanian
- гляде́ть, смотре́ть, внешность, выглядеть, взгляд, искать, погляде́ть, посмотре́тьRussian
- гле̏дати, glȅdatiSerbo-Croatian
- බලනවාSinhala, Sinhalese
- pozerať, dívať, podívaťSlovak
- pogled, gledatiSlovene
- shoh, shikojAlbanian
- se, söka, kika, se ut, utseende, leta, verka, spana, blick, synas, titta, kollaSwedish
- చూపు, కనబడు, చూచు, కనిపించుTelugu
- нигоҳ кардан, нигаристанTajik
- ดู, มองหา, มองThai
- görünmek, aramak, bakmak, bakTurkish
- карарга, багаргаTatar
- диви́тися, подиви́тисяUkrainian
- boqmoq, qaramoqUzbek
Get even more translations for look »
Find a translation for the look definition in other languages:
Select another language: