Definitions for likewiseˈlaɪkˌwaɪz
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word likewise
in like or similar manner
"He was similarly affected"; "some people have little power to do good, and have likewise little strength to resist evil"- Samuel Johnson
besides, too, also, likewise, as well(adverb)
"he has a Mercedes, too"
"parents and teachers alike demanded reforms"
In a similar manner.
Public transportation is virtually inaccessible in this country; likewise, its hospitals are also not very user-friendly.
also; moreover; too.
Margaret enjoys playing tennis on Saturdays, Jeremy likewise.
The same to you; .
It was very nice meeting you, Samantha. uE000128405uE001 Likewise, Mr Thompson.
Origin: Shortened from in like wise; equivalent to .
in like manner; also; moreover; too. See Also
Origin: [See Wise, n.]
British National Corpus
Rank popularity for the word 'likewise' in Adverbs Frequency: #398
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
We all grew up in spite of our parents. I trust our children will do likewise.
Dinausors were big ; likewise, their bones. (Dinosaures furent grands ; - De même, leurs ossements.)
In order that all men may be taught to speak truth, it is necessary that all likewise should learn to hear it.
War begets quiet, quiet idleness, idleness disorder, disorder ruin; likewise ruin order, order virtue, virtue glory, and good fortune.
Nearly all legislation involves a weighing of public needs as against private desires and likewise a weighing of relative social values.
Images & Illustrations of likewise
Translations for likewise
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- също такаBulgarian
- i lige mådeDanish
- ähnlich, gleichfalls, ebenfalls, ebensoGerman
- similarmente, igualmenteSpanish
- de même, pareillement, idem, égalementFrench
- mar an ceudnaScottish Gaelic
- altrettanto, idem, similarmente, ugualmente, allo stesso modoItalian
- 同様, そちらこそJapanese
- op gelijkaardige wijze, evenzo, eveneens, insgelijksDutch
- i like måteNorwegian
- similarmente, igualmentePortuguese
- и тебе́ того́ же, взаи́мно, подо́бно, та́к же, и ва́м того́ же, подо́бным о́бразом, аналоги́чноRussian
- likaledes, detsammaSwedish
- bilmukabele, keza, aynenTurkish
Get even more translations for likewise »
Find a translation for the likewise definition in other languages:
Select another language: