Definitions for leavenˈlɛv ən
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word leaven
a substance used to produce fermentation in dough or a liquid
an influence that works subtly to lighten or modify something
"his sermons benefited from a leavening of humor"
raise, leaven, prove(verb)
cause to puff up with a leaven
Any agent used to make dough rise or to have a similar effect on baked goods.
To add a leavening agent.
To cause to rise by fermentation.
To temper an action or decision.
any substance that produces, or is designed to produce, fermentation, as in dough or liquids; esp., a portion of fermenting dough, which, mixed with a larger quantity of dough, produces a general change in the mass, and renders it light; yeast; barm
anything which makes a general assimilating (especially a corrupting) change in the mass
to make light by the action of leaven; to cause to ferment
to imbue; to infect; to vitiate
Translations for leaven
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- llevatCatalan, Valencian
- квасъOld Church Slavonic, Church Slavonic, Old Bulgarian
- Treibmittel, TriebmittelGerman
- leudar, levadura, polvos de hornearSpanish
- nostatusaine, nostattaa, kohottaaFinnish
- levain, ferment, faire lever, faire fermenterFrench
- パン種, 膨張剤Japanese
- hevingsmiddel, heveNorwegian
- zakwas, zaczynPolish
- levedura, fermentoPortuguese
- закваска, разрыхлительRussian
Get even more translations for leaven »
Find a translation for the leaven definition in other languages:
Select another language: