Definitions for learner
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word learner
Random House Webster's College Dictionary
learn*lɜrn; lɜrnd(v.)learned; or learnt, learn•ing.
(v.t.)to acquire knowledge of or skill in by study, instruction, or experience:
to learn a new language.
to become informed of or acquainted with; ascertain:
to learn the truth.
He learned the poem in ten minutes.
to gain (a habit, mannerism, etc.) by experience, exposure to example, or the like; acquire:
She learned patience from her father.
(of a device or machine, esp. a computer) to perform an analogue of human learning using artificial intelligence.
Nonstandard. to instruct in; teach.
Category: Status (usage)
(v.i.)to acquire knowledge or skill:
to learn rapidly.
to become informed (often fol. by of or about):
to learn of an accident.
* Syn: learn , discover , ascertain , detect imply adding to one's store of knowledge or information. To learn is to come to know by chance, or by study or other application: to learn of a friend's death; to learn to ski. To discover is to find out something previously unseen or unknown; it suggests that the new information is surprising to the learner: I discovered that they were selling their house. To ascertain is to find out and verify information through inquiry or analysis: to ascertain the truth about the incident. To detect is to become aware of something obscure, secret, or concealed: to detect a flaw in reasoning.
Origin of learn:
bef. 900; ME lernen, OE leornian to learn, read, ponder, c. OS līnōn, OHG lernēn; akin to Go laisjan to teach, and to lore1
learner, scholar, assimilator(noun)
someone (especially a child) who learns (as from a teacher) or takes up knowledge or beliefs
apprentice, learner, prentice(noun)
works for an expert to learn a trade
Kernerman English Learner's Dictionary
sb who is learning sth
advanced learners of English; a quick learner
One that is learning
She's still a learner, so she's prone to making mistakes
one who learns; a scholar
British National Corpus
Rank popularity for the word 'learner' in Nouns Frequency: #2509
Anagrams of learner
Translations for learner
Kernerman English Multilingual Dictionary
a person who is in process of learning
Be patient; – I'm only a learner; (also adjective) a learner driver.
- учащ сеBulgarian
- aprendizPortuguese (BR)
- začátečník, -iceCzech
- der/die Anfänger(in), Anfänger-...German
- elev; -elevDanish
- μαθητής, διδασκόμενοςGreek
- principiante, aprendizSpanish
- õpilane, algajaEstonian
- शिक्षार्थी, सीखने वाला व्यक्ति, नौसिखियाHindi
- nemandi, byrjandiIcelandic
- tāds, kas mācāsLatvian
- uczeń, uczący sięPolish
- învăţăcel; începătorRomanian
- začiatočník, -čkaSlovak
- lärjunge, elev, nybörjareSwedish
- öğrenci, acemiTurkish
- 學習者Chinese (Trad.)
- زیر تربیتUrdu
- người họcVietnamese
- 学习者Chinese (Simp.)
Get even more translations for learner »
Find a translation for the learner definition in other languages:
Select another language: