Definitions for lastlæst, lɑst
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word last
stopping point, finale, finis, finish, last, conclusion, close(noun)
the temporal end; the concluding time
"the stopping point of each round was signaled by a bell"; "the market was up at the finish"; "they were playing better at the close of the season"
the last or lowest in an ordering or series
"he was the last to leave"; "he finished an inglorious last"
a person's dying act; the final thing a person can do
"he breathed his last"
the time at which life ends; continuing until dead
"she stayed until his death"; "a struggle to the last"
a unit of weight equal to 4,000 pounds
a unit of capacity for grain equal to 80 bushels
end, last, final stage(noun)
the concluding parts of an event or occurrence
"the end was exciting"; "I had to miss the last of the movie"
last, shoemaker's last, cobbler's last(adj)
holding device shaped like a human foot that is used to fashion or repair shoes
"last Thursday"; "the last chapter we read"
coming after all others in time or space or degree or being the only one remaining
"the last time I saw Paris"; "the last day of the month"; "had the last word"; "waited until the last minute"; "he raised his voice in a last supreme call"; "the last game of the season"; "down to his last nickel"
concluding, final, last, terminal(adj)
occurring at or forming an end or termination
"his concluding words came as a surprise"; "the final chapter"; "the last days of the dinosaurs"; "terminal leave"
most unlikely or unsuitable
"the last person we would have suspected"; "the last man they would have chosen for the job"
occurring at the time of death
"his last words"; "the last rites"
final, last, net(adj)
conclusive in a process or progression
"the final answer"; "a last resort"; "the net result"
highest in extent or degree
"to the last measure of human endurance"; "whether they were accomplices in the last degree or a lesser one was...to be determined individually"
not to be altered or undone
"the judge's decision is final"; "the arbiter will have the last say"
last, last-place, lowest(verb)
lowest in rank or importance
"last prize"; "in last place"
persist for a specified period of time
"The bad weather lasted for three days"
survive, last, live, live on, go, endure, hold up, hold out(adverb)
continue to live through hardship or adversity
"We went without water and food for 3 days"; "These superstitions survive in the backwaters of America"; "The race car driver lived through several very serious accidents"; "how long can a person last without food and water?"
"I saw him last in London"
last, lastly, in conclusion, finally(adverb)
the item at the end
"last, I'll discuss family values"
of Last, to endure, contracted from lasteth
being after all the others, similarly classed or considered, in time, place, or order of succession; following all the rest; final; hindmost; farthest; as, the last year of a century; the last man in a line of soldiers; the last page in a book; his last chance
next before the present; as, I saw him last week
supreme; highest in degree; utmost
lowest in rank or degree; as, the last prize
farthest of all from a given quality, character, or condition; most unlikely; having least fitness; as, he is the last person to be accused of theft
at a time or on an occasion which is the latest of all those spoken of or which have occurred; the last time; as, I saw him last in New York
in conclusion; finally
at a time next preceding the present time
to continue in time; to endure; to remain in existence
to endure use, or continue in existence, without impairment or exhaustion; as, this cloth lasts better than that; the fuel will last through the winter
a wooden block shaped like the human foot, on which boots and shoes are formed
to shape with a last; to fasten or fit to a last; to place smoothly on a last; as, to last a boot
a load; a heavy burden; hence, a certain weight or measure, generally estimated at 4,000 lbs., but varying for different articles and in different countries. In England, a last of codfish, white herrings, meal, or ashes, is twelve barrels; a last of corn, ten quarters, or eighty bushels, in some parts of England, twenty-one quarters; of gunpowder, twenty-four barrels, each containing 100 lbs; of red herrings, twenty cades, or 20,000; of hides, twelve dozen; of leather, twenty dickers; of pitch and tar, fourteen barrels; of wool, twelve sacks; of flax or feathers, 1,700 lbs
the burden of a ship; a cargo
Origin: [See Last, a.]
A last is a mechanical form that has a shape similar to that of a human foot. It is used by shoemakers and cordwainers in the manufacture and repair of shoes. Lasts typically come in pairs, and have been made from various materials, including hardwoods, cast iron, and, high density plastics.
British National Corpus
Spoken Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'last' in Spoken Corpus Frequency: #122
Written Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'last' in Written Corpus Frequency: #162
Rank popularity for the word 'last' in Verbs Frequency: #388
Translations for last
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- آخر, استمر, استغرقArabic
- мінулы, апошніBelarusian
- minulý, vydržet, nakonec, poslední, trvatCzech
- senest, sidst, sidsteDanish
- Leisten, letzter, zuletzt, anhalten, aushalten, andauern, dauernGerman
- durar, último, aguantarSpanish
- lesti, viimeinen, kestää, viimeFinnish
- dernier, finalement, durer, en dernierFrench
- seo caite, mairIrish
- seas, seo chaidh, deireannach, ceap, mair, mu dheireadhScottish Gaelic
- אחרון, שעברHebrew
- टिकना, पिछला, बना रहना, आखिरी, जूते बनाने का फर्म, सब के अंत में, अंतिमHindi
- kaptafa, utolsó, kitart, tartHungarian
- վերջին, դիմանալ, տևել, վերջումArmenian
- lasta, durarIdo
- durare, ultimo, infine, più recente, alla fine, per ultimo, resistereItalian
- 終わり, 継続, 最終的, 最後, 続くJapanese
- ақырғы, соңғыKazakh
- ចុងក្រោយ, ចុងបំផុត, មុន, ជាប់យូរKhmer
- درێژ کێشانKurdish
- акыркы, кийинки, соңкуKyrgyz
- novissimus, ultimusLatin
- dauerenLuxembourgish, Letzeburgesch
- последен, издржува, последен пат, истрајуваMacedonian
- laatst, leest, last, afgelopen, duren, volhouden, vorigDutch
- senest, nyest, sistNorwegian
- фӕстагOssetian, Ossetic
- ubiegły, ostatni, zeszły, trwaćPolish
- forma, último, resistir, durar, aguentar, [[por]] [[último]]Portuguese
- ultim, duraRomanian
- колодка, минувший, продолжаться, последний, в последний раз, прошлый, продержаться, конечный, длиться, недавний, предыдущийRussian
- последњи, poslednji, posljednji, zadnji, задњи, прошли, prošli, посљедњи, konačniSerbo-Croatian
- අන්තිම, අවසානSinhala, Sinhalese
- posledný, napokon, naposledy, trvať, minulýSlovak
- obstati, prejšnji, poslednji, končni, zadnji, trajatiSlovene
- sist, förra, läst, vara, fortfara, slutligen, senastSwedish
- పోయిన, కిందటి, చివరి, ఆఖరిTelugu
- ahyrky, soňkyTurkmen
- nihayet, son, sonuncu, son olarak, sonundaTurkish
- минулий, останнійUkrainian
- cuối cùngVietnamese
Get even more translations for last »
Find a translation for the last definition in other languages:
Select another language: