Definitions for lamblæm
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word lamb
Lamb, Charles Lamb, Elia(noun)
English essayist (1775-1834)
a person easily deceived or cheated (especially in financial matters)
a sweet innocent mild-mannered person (especially a child)
the flesh of a young domestic sheep eaten as food
give birth to a lamb
"the ewe lambed"
A young sheep, of up to one year of age.
The flesh of a lamb used as food.
A person who is meek, docile and easily led.
Of a sheep, to give birth.
To assist (sheep) to give birth.
The shepherd was up all night, lambing her young ewes.
Origin: lamb, from lambaz (compare Dutch lam, German Lamm, Swedish lamm), from h₁l̥h₁onbʰos (compare Scottish Gaelic lon ‘elk’, Ancient Greek ‘red deer’), enlargement of . More at elk.
the young of the sheep
any person who is as innocent or gentle as a lamb
a simple, unsophisticated person; in the cant of the Stock Exchange, one who ignorantly speculates and is victimized
to bring forth a lamb or lambs, as sheep
Origin: [AS. lamb; akin to D. & Dan. lam, G. & Sw. lamm, OS., Goth., & Icel. lamb.]
Lamb is an electronic music duo from Manchester, England, whose music is influenced by trip hop and drum and bass. The duo consists of producer Andy Barlow, who also produces under the pseudonym Hipoptimist, and singer-songwriter Lou Rhodes. They achieved commercial success with two hit singles "Górecki" and "Gabriel".
British National Corpus
Written Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'lamb' in Written Corpus Frequency: #4329
Rank popularity for the word 'lamb' in Nouns Frequency: #2204
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
One owner of a processing plant told us they export dog skin as lamb skin.
What a magnificent accomplishment to be able to stay alive as an innocent lamb in the land of guilty wolves!
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!
A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner. Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. (Misattributed)
The wolf eats the lamb; the strong eats the weak. This is not God’s Order, because it lacks justice, ethics and goodness. This chaotic structure belongs to the evolution! Evolution is primitive and it lacks high intelligence; it moves ahead by crawling and it is faulty! He who calls this system as God’s Order openly insults God! We must know that God is not in this universe; He is somewhere else, somewhere where there is no evolution, where there is justice, ethics and goodness!
Images & Illustrations of lamb
Translations for lamb
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- ягня́, бара́нчыкBelarusian
- xai, anyell, corderCatalan, Valencian
- beránek, jehněčí, jehněCzech
- агнѧ, агньцьOld Church Slavonic, Church Slavonic, Old Bulgarian
- oen, [[cig]] [[oen]]Welsh
- Lamm, LammfleischGerman
- αρνί, αμνόςGreek
- ŝafido, ŝafidaĵoEsperanto
- carne de cordero, corderoSpanish
- arkume, bildotsBasque
- lammas, karitsa, karitsanliha, karitsoidaFinnish
- agneau, agnelleFrench
- lammeWestern Frisian
- uaineoil, uanIrish
- feòil-uain, uanScottish Gaelic
- बर्रा, मेमनाHindi
- anak dombaIndonesian
- mutonyunokarno, mutonyunulo, mutonyunino, mutonyunoIdo
- lambakjöt, lambIcelandic
- agnella, agnello, agnellinoItalian
- ラム, 小羊, 子羊, 羊肉Japanese
- ბატკანი, ბატკნის ხორციGeorgian
- بهرخ, گۆشتی بهرخKurdish
- agnus, agnellusLatin
- သိုးသား, သိုးကလေးBurmese
- lam, lamsvlees, lammetje, lammerenDutch
- lammekjøtt, lammekjøtNorwegian Nynorsk
- dibé yázhíNavajo, Navaho
- anhèla, anhèlOccitan
- jagnięcina, jagnię, baranekPolish
- cordeiro, anhoPortuguese
- agnè, tschutRomansh
- mia, miel, mielușel, mioarăRomanian
- а́гнец, ягнёнок, овца́, бара́нина, ове́чка, ягня́тина, бара́шекRussian
- angione, anzoneSardinian
- jagnje, јагње, јагњетина, jagnjetina, janje, јањеSerbo-Croatian
- jahňa, baránokSlovak
- jagnjetina, jágnjeSlovene
- sheleg, qengjAlbanian
- lamm, lammköttSwedish
- پاقلانUyghur, Uighur
- бара́нчик, ягня́Ukrainian
- cừu con, cừu nonVietnamese
- jipülamit, sugajipül, liäm, jijipül, sugajijipül, jipül, jipülil, hijipül, sugahijipül, smajipVolapük
- bedot, agneaWalloon
Get even more translations for lamb »
Find a translation for the lamb definition in other languages:
Select another language: