Definitions for knaveneɪv
Random House Webster's College Dictionary
an unprincipled, untrustworthy, or dishonest person.
(in cards) the jack.
Archaic. a male servant. a man of humble position.
* Syn: knave , rascal , rogue , scoundrel are disparaging terms applied to persons considered base, dishonest, or unprincipled. knave , which formerly meant a male servant, in modern use emphasizes baseness of nature and intention: a swindling knave. rascal suggests a certain shrewdness and trickery: The rascal ran off with my money. rogue often refers to a worthless person who preys on the community: pictures of criminals in a rogues' gallery. scoundrel , a stronger term, suggests a base, immoral, even wicked person: Those scoundrels finally went to jail. rascal and rogue are often used affectionately or humorously to describe a mischievous person: I'll bet that rascal hid my slippers. The little rogues ate all the cookies.
Origin of knave:
bef. 1000; ME; OE cnafa, c. OHG knabo boy; akin to OE cnapa, OHG knappo
rogue, knave, rascal, rapscallion, scalawag, scallywag, varlet(noun)
a deceitful and unreliable scoundrel
one of four face cards in a deck bearing a picture of a young prince
A tricky, deceitful fellow; a dishonest person; a rogue; a villain.
A playing card marked with the figure of a servant or soldier; a jack.
A boy; especially, a boy servant.
Any male servant; a menial.
Origin: From knave, from cnafa, from knabô, from gnebʰ-, from gen-. Cognate with Knabe. Related also to knape.
a boy; especially, a boy servant
any male servant; a menial
a tricky, deceitful fellow; a dishonest person; a rogue; a villain
a playing card marked with the figure of a servant or soldier; a jack
Translations for knave
Kernerman English Multilingual Dictionary
a jack in a pack of playing-cards
the knave of diamonds.
- skobbejak, boerAfrikaans
- ماكِر، خَدّاعArabic
- valetePortuguese (BR)
- der BubeGerman
- קְלָף “נַעַר”Hebrew
- dečko u kartamaCroatian
- kartu jackIndonesian
- (카드) 잭Korean
- kalps (kāršu spēlē)Latvian
- سربازهنگامى قطعه بازىPersian
- دقطعو په لوبه كښى غلامPashto
- valet (la jocul de cărţi)Romanian
- žandar u kartamaSerbian
- (撲克牌中的)傑克Chinese (Trad.)
- تاش کے پتوں میں غلامUrdu
- quân JVietnamese
- （纸牌中的）JackChinese (Simp.)
Get even more translations for knave »