Definitions for kindlyˈkaɪnd li
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word kindly
Random House Webster's College Dictionary
kind•lyˈkaɪnd li(adj.; adv.)-li•er, -li•est
(adj.)having, showing, or proceeding from a kind disposition:
gentle or mild.
pleasant or beneficial.
(adv.)in a kind manner.
cordially or heartily:
We thank you kindly.
Kindly close the door.
to take kindly to an idea.
Origin of kindly:
charitable, benevolent, kindly, sympathetic, good-hearted, openhearted, large-hearted(adj)
showing or motivated by sympathy and understanding and generosity
"was charitable in his opinions of others"; "kindly criticism"; "a kindly act"; "sympathetic words"; "a large-hearted mentor"
pleasant and agreeable
"a kindly climate"; "kindly breeze"
in a kind manner or out of kindness
"He spoke kindly to the boy"; "she kindly overlooked the mistake"
Kernerman English Learner's Dictionary
in a gentle and caring way
"Can I help?" she said kindly.
used to request sth politely
Sir, would you kindly come with me?
to be displeased by
I don't take kindly to people telling me what to do.
In a kind manner, out of kindness.
He kindly offered to take us to the station in his car.
in a favourable way.
With kind acceptance; .
Having a kind personality.
A kindly old man sits on the park bench every afternoon feeding pigeons.
according to the kind or nature; natural
humane; congenial; sympathetic; hence, disposed to do good to; benevolent; gracious; kind; helpful; as, kindly affections, words, acts, etc
favorable; mild; gentle; auspicious; beneficent
in a kind manner; congenially; with good will; with a disposition to make others happy, or to oblige
Translations for kindly
From our Multilingual Dictionary
- amablementCatalan, Valencian
- dobrosrdečný, mile, laskavý, laskavě, vlídně, srdečněCzech
- venligst, venligDanish
- freundlicherweise, Bitte, liebenswürdigGerman
- bondadosamente, agradable, bondadosoSpanish
- ystävällisesti, mukava, hyväntahtoisesti, ystävällinen, hyväntahtoinenFinnish
- gentillement, veuillez, aimablementFrench
- gentilmente, volete, per piacereItalian
- vriendelijk, beminnelijkDutch
- amável, gentil, agradávelPortuguese
- добродушно, добрый, благожелательноRussian
- amiståvmint, binamêymint, s' i vs plaitWalloon
Find a translation for the kindly definition in other languages:
Select another language: