Definitions for jiffyˈdʒɪf i; dʒɪf
Random House Webster's College Dictionary
jif•fy*ˈdʒɪf i; dʒɪf(n.)(pl.)jif•fies also jiffs.
a very short time; moment; instant:
to get dressed in a jiffy.
Origin of jiffy:
blink of an eye, flash, heartbeat, instant, jiffy, split second, trice, twinkling, wink, New York minute(noun)
a very short time (as the time it takes the eye to blink or the heart to beat)
"if I had the chance I'd do it in a flash"
A very short, unspecified length of time.
I'll be back in a jiffy.
A unit of time defined by the frequency of its basic timer; historically, and by convention, 0.01 seconds, but some operating systems use other values.
The time taken for light to travel one centimetre in a vacuum (sometimes one foot, or sometimes the width of a nucleon)
The time between alternating current power cycles (1/60 or 1/50 of a second)
a moment; an instant; as, I will be ready in a jiffy
The New Hacker's Dictionary
1. The duration of one tick of the system clock on your computer (see tick). Often one AC cycle time (1/60 second in the U.S. and Canada, 1/50 most other places), but more recently 1/100 sec has become common. “The swapper runs every 6 jiffies” means that the virtual memory management routine is executed once for every 6 ticks of the clock, or about ten times a second. 2. Confusingly, the term is sometimes also used for a 1-millisecond wall time interval. 3. Even more confusingly, physicists semi-jokingly use ‘jiffy’ to mean the time required for light to travel one foot in a vacuum, which turns out to be close to one nanosecond. Other physicists use the term for the quantum-nechanical lower bound on meaningful time lengths, 4. Indeterminate time from a few seconds to forever. “I'll do it in a jiffy” means certainly not now and possibly never. This is a bit contrary to the more widespread use of the word. Oppose nano. See also Real Soon Now.
Translations for jiffy
Kernerman English Multilingual Dictionary
I'll be back in a jiffy.
- japtrap, ommesientjie, gou-gou, een-twee-drieAfrikaans
- لَحْظَه، في لَحْظَهArabic
- instantePortuguese (BR)
- der AugenblickGerman
- i løbet af nul komma femDanish
- instante, santiaménSpanish
- لحظه؛ آنFarsi
- en moins de deuxFrench
- časak, trenCroatian
- waktu sesaat, sebentarIndonesian
- momento, istanteItalian
- sekejap lagiMalay
- øyeblikk, blunkNorwegian
- لحظه؛ آنPersian
- شيبه، سترګرپPashto
- ögonblick, nafsSwedish
- ชั่วเวลาประเดี๋ยว; ชั่วครู่เดียวThai
- an, lâhzaTurkish
- 一會兒Chinese (Trad.)
- تھوڑا وقفہUrdu
- chốc látVietnamese
- 一会儿Chinese (Simp.)
Get even more translations for jiffy »