Definitions for jackpotˈdʒækˌpɒt
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word jackpot
Random House Webster's College Dictionary
the chief prize or the cumulative stakes in a game, contest, lottery, or the like.
(in draw poker) a pot that accumulates until a player opens the betting with a pair of predetermined denomination, usu. jacks or better.
an outstanding success.
pot, jackpot, kitty(noun)
the cumulative amount involved in a game (such as poker)
any outstanding award
Kernerman English Learner's Dictionary
the entire amount of money that can be won in a game
A difficult situation.
A jumble of felled timber.
Origin: Also jack-pot, "big prize," 1944, from slot machine sense (1932), from obsolete poker sense (1881) of antes that begin when no player has a pair of jacks or better; from jack (n.) in the card-playing sense + pot (1). Earlier, in criminal slang, it meant "trouble," especially "an arrest" (1902).
Jackpot! is a television game show seen in three different runs between 1974 and 1990. Geoff Edwards hosted the original version of this Bob Stewart production from January 7, 1974 until September 26, 1975 on NBC. A second version, produced in Canada, aired from September 30, 1985 to December 30, 1988 on the USA Network in the U.S. and was hosted by Mike Darrow. A third version, again hosted by Edwards, ran from September 18, 1989 to March 16, 1990 in syndication and was filmed in Glendale, California. Elements of Jackpot! were later used in the GSN game show Hollywood Showdown. Its producer, Sande Stewart, became a production partner of his father during the 1980s.
Translations for jackpot
Kernerman English Multilingual Dictionary
in playing cards, some competitions etc, a fund of prize-money that goes on increasing until it is won.
- boerpot, pryspot, woekerpotAfrikaans
- مَجْموع المبالِغ المُتَراكِمَه عند المقامره يأخُذها الرابح الأخيرArabic
- jackpotPortuguese (BR)
- sázka zvyšovaná až do výhryCzech
- der JackpotGerman
- το χρηματικό ποσό που προορίζεται για το νικητή παιχνιδιού ή διαγωνισμού και αυξάνεται διαρκώς μέχρι να κερδηθεί, τζακ ποτGreek
- premio gordo, apuesta acumuladaSpanish
- بانک؛ جایزه بزرگFarsi
- gros lotFrench
- הַפְּרָס הַגָדוֹלHebrew
- दावखेल में, खेल में जीता गया अधिकतम धनHindi
- glavni zgoditakCroatian
- 카드놀이에서 거는 돈Korean
- banka (kāršu spēlē)Latvian
- pott, (stor)gevinstNorwegian
- بانک؛ جایزه بزرگPersian
- بانک،لویه دالیPashto
- bank v pokeriSlovak
- glavni zgoditakSerbian
- jackpott, storvinstSwedish
- (橋牌或博彩等)累積的獎金，頭獎Chinese (Trad.)
- найбільший виграш у лотереї, джек-потUkrainian
- بہت بیش قیمت انعامUrdu
- tiền gà (trong đánh bài)Vietnamese
- （桥牌）积累的赌注，累积奖金Chinese (Simp.)
Get even more translations for jackpot »
Find a translation for the jackpot definition in other languages:
Select another language: