Definitions for interviewˈɪn tərˌvyu
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word interview
the questioning of a person (or a conversation in which information is elicited); often conducted by journalists
"my interviews with teenagers revealed a weakening of religious bonds"
consultation, audience, interview(verb)
a conference (usually with someone important)
"he had a consultation with the judge"; "he requested an audience with the king"
conduct an interview in television, newspaper, and radio reporting
discuss formally with (somebody) for the purpose of an evaluation
"We interviewed the job candidates"
go for an interview in the hope of being hired
"The job candidate interviewed everywhere"
An official face-to-face meeting of monarchs or other important figures.
Any face-to-face meeting, especially of an official nature.
A conversation in person (or, by extension, over the telephone, Internet etc.) between a journalist and someone whose opinion or statements he or she wishes to record for publication, broadcast etc.
The reporter gave the witness an interview.
A formal meeting, in person, for the assessment of a candidate or applicant.
It was a dreadful interview; I have no hope of getting the job.
A police interrogation of a suspect or party in an investigation.
To ask questions of (somebody); to have an interview.
To be interviewed; to attend an interview.
Origin: From entreveue (French: entrevue), from entreveer (entre- "inter-" + veeir "to see").
a mutual sight or view; a meeting face to face; usually, a formal or official meeting for consultation; a conference; as, the secretary had an interview with the President
a conservation, or questioning, for the purpose of eliciting information for publication; the published statement so elicited
to have an interview with; to question or converse with, especially for the purpose of obtaining information for publication
Origin: [F. entrevue, fr. entrevoir to see imperfectly, to have a glimpse of, s'entrevoir to visit each other. See Inter-, and View.]
An interview is a conversation between two or more people where questions are asked by the interviewer to elicit facts or statements from the interviewee. Although interviews are a standard part of journalism and media reporting, the focus of this piece is on how interviews can be used as a tool for psychological research. Wikipedia articles on other types of interviews
U.S. National Library of Medicine
Work consisting of a conversation with an individual regarding his or her background and other personal and professional details, opinions on specific subjects posed by the interviewer, etc.
British National Corpus
Spoken Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'interview' in Spoken Corpus Frequency: #2471
Written Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'interview' in Written Corpus Frequency: #2171
Rank popularity for the word 'interview' in Nouns Frequency: #697
Rank popularity for the word 'interview' in Verbs Frequency: #646
Images & Illustrations of interview
Translations for interview
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- interviu, entrevistar, entrevistaCatalan, Valencian
- přijímací pohovor, interviewCzech
- Interview, Vorstellungsgespräch, interviewenGerman
- συνέντευξη, συνεντευξιάζω, παίρνω συνέντευξηGreek
- intervjuo, intervjuiEsperanto
- entrevistar, entrevistaSpanish
- مصاحبه, اینترویوPersian
- haastattelu, haastatellaFinnish
- [[avoir]] une [[entrevue]], entretien, interroger, interview, entrevueFrench
- agallamh, cuir agallamh arIrish
- agallamhScottish Gaelic
- entrevistar, entrevistaGalician
- intervista, colloquioItalian
- インタビュー, 面接Japanese
- 면접, 面接, 인터뷰Korean
- uiuinga, uiui, patapataiMāori
- wawancara, temu duga, temu bual, interviuMalay
- vraaggesprek, interview, interviewenDutch
- wywiad, rozmowa kwalifikacyjna, [[przeprowadzać]] [[wywiad]]Polish
- entrevistar, entrevistaPortuguese
- interviu de prezentare, interviu, interviuriRomanian
- опросить, интервью, интервьюировать, собеседование, опрашиватьRussian
- интервју, intervjuSerbo-Croatian
- intervju, intervjuaSwedish
- gặp gỡ, cuộc phỏng vấn, gặp mặtVietnamese
- bespik, bespikönVolapük
Get even more translations for interview »
Find a translation for the interview definition in other languages:
Select another language: