intersection, intersection point, point of intersection(noun)
a point where lines intersect
intersection, crossroad, crossway, crossing, carrefour(noun)
a junction where one street or road crosses another
a point or set of points common to two or more geometric configurations
intersection, product, Cartesian product(noun)
the set of elements common to two or more sets
"the set of red hats is the intersection of the set of hats and the set of red things"
overlap, convergence, intersection(noun)
a representation of common ground between theories or phenomena
"there was no overlap between their proposals"
the act of intersecting (as joining by causing your path to intersect your target's path)
The junction of two (or more) paths, streets, highways, or other thoroughfares.
The point or set of points common to two geometrical objects (such as the point where two lines meet or the line where two planes intersect).
The set containing all the elements that are common to two or more sets.
The element where two or more straight lines of synchronized skaters pass through each other.
Origin: From intersectio.
the act, state, or place of intersecting
the point or line in which one line or surface cuts another
Origin: [L. intersectio: cf. F. intersection.]
An intersection is a road junction where two or more roads either meet or cross at grade. An intersection may be 3-way – a T junction/T intersection or fork, 4-way – a crossroads, or 5-way or more. It may often be controlled by traffic lights, and may have a roundabout. This article primarily reflects jurisdictions where vehicles are driven on the right. If not otherwise specified, "right" and "left" can be reversed to reflect jurisdictions where vehicles are driven on the left.
The numerical value of intersection in Chaldean Numerology is: 9
The numerical value of intersection in Pythagorean Numerology is: 7
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
There is a natural intersection between Google customers and our customers.
It was just a non-stop blast of his horn, it wasn't the normal, 'I'm going through the intersection'.
Each of us lives at the intersection of many identities, it's important that television characters reflect the full diversity of the LGBT community.
It could be because this is an intersection of a number of different rail lines, at this intersection they did not have it in place even though it was a relatively sharp turn.
Clearly there is a coincidence or intersection of national grievances across the board, economic and political, and the immediate concerns of the public servants, that intersection has proved lethal in the last days. We are in a new phase of politics.
Images & Illustrations of intersection
Translations for intersection
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- průsečík, křižovatka, průnikCzech
- skæringspunkt, skæring, kryds, fællesmængde, vejkrydsDanish
- Schnittpunkt, Durchschnitt, Kreuzung, ÜberschneidungGerman
- τομή, διασταύρωσηGreek
- komunaĵo, kruciĝoEsperanto
- cruce, intersecciónSpanish
- lõige, ühisosaEstonian
- leikkaus, läpimeno, leikkauspiste, risteysFinnish
- intersection, carrefourFrench
- csomópont, útkereszteződésHungarian
- sniðmengi, skurðpunktur, vegamót, snið, gatnamót, skarmengi, skurðmengiIcelandic
- intersezione, incrocioItalian
- 交差点, 交点, 積集合Japanese
- 교집합, 교차로Korean
- doorsnijding, kruispunt, kruising, doorsnedeDutch
- kryssNorwegian Nynorsk
- skrzyżowanie, iloczyn zbiorów, przecięcie, przekrój, punkt przecięciaPolish
- intersecție, intersectareRomanian
- пересечение, перекрёстокRussian
- prések, ра́скр̄шће, кри́жа̄ње, пре́сјек, ráskrīžje, ráskrsnica, крижо̀пӯће, крижо̀пӯт, пре́сек, krstòpūće, ра́скрсница, križòpūt, krìžīšte, krížānje, крсто̀пӯће, présjek, ráskr̄šće, крѝжӣште, ра́скрӣжје, križòpūćeSerbo-Croatian
- prienik, priesečník, križovatkaSlovak
- snitt, korsning, skärningSwedish
- перетин множинUkrainian
Get even more translations for intersection »
Find a translation for the intersection definition in other languages:
Select another language:
Discuss these intersection definitions with the community:
Word of the Day
Would you like us to send you a FREE new word definition delivered to your inbox daily?
Use the citation below to add this definition to your bibliography:
"intersection." Definitions.net. STANDS4 LLC, 2017. Web. 26 Apr. 2017. <http://www.definitions.net/definition/intersection>.