inhabitant, habitant, dweller, denizen, indweller(noun)
a person who inhabits a particular place
Someone or thing who lives in a place.
Origin: inhabitant, from inhabitans, present participle of inhabito, from in- + habito (frequentative of habeo, from ghabh-.
one who dwells or resides permanently in a place, as distinguished from a transient lodger or visitor; as, an inhabitant of a house, a town, a city, county, or state
one who has a legal settlement in a town, city, or parish; a permanent resident
Origin: [L. inhabitans, -antis, p. pr. of inhabitare.]
The Foolish Dictionary, by Gideon Wurdz
A native of any village, town or city. OLDEST INHABITANT The Champion Liar.
British National Corpus
Rank popularity for the word 'inhabitant' in Nouns Frequency: #2154
The numerical value of inhabitant in Chaldean Numerology is: 2
The numerical value of inhabitant in Pythagorean Numerology is: 8
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
Genius without religion is only a lamp on the outer gate of a palace; it may serve to cast a gleam on those that are without while the inhabitant sits in darkness.
It is by no means certain that our individual personality is the single inhabitant of these our corporeal frames... We all do things both awake and asleep which surprise us. Perhaps we have cotenants in this house we live in.
Any great work of art revives and readapts time and space, and the measure of its success is the extent to which it makes you an inhabitant of that world -- the extent to which it invites you in and lets you breathe its strange, special air.
Any great work of art . . . revives and readapts time and space, and the measure of its success is the extent to which it makes you an inhabitant of that world -- the extent to which it invites you in and lets you breathe its strange, special air.
If we fight a war and win it with H-bombs, what history will remember is not the ideals we were fighting for but the methods we used to accomplish them. These methods will be compared to the warfare of Genghis Khan who ruthlessly killed every last inhabitant of Persia.
Images & Illustrations of inhabitant
Translations for inhabitant
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- ساكن, سكانArabic
- жыха́р, жыха́ркаBelarusian
- обита́тел, жи́телBulgarian
- habitantCatalan, Valencian
- Bewohner, Einwohner, Bewohnerin, EinwohnerinGerman
- loĝanto, enloĝantoEsperanto
- habitante, residente, lugareñoSpanish
- résidente, habitante, résident, habitantFrench
- áitreabhthóir, áitreabhachIrish
- lakos, lakóHungarian
- 住民, 居住者Japanese
- habitator, habitatrix, incola, cultorLatin
- AwunnerLuxembourgish, Letzeburgesch
- жи́телка, жи́телMacedonian
- inwoner, bewonerDutch
- innbyggjarNorwegian Nynorsk
- mieszkaniec, mieszkankaPolish
- locuitoare, locuitorRomanian
- жи́тель, обита́тельница, жи́тельница, обита́тельRussian
- становник, житељица, житељ, žíteljica, stanòvnīk, житељка, становница, stanòvnica, žítelj, žiteljkaSerbo-Croatian
Get even more translations for inhabitant »
Find a translation for the inhabitant definition in other languages:
Select another language: