Definitions for includeɪnˈklud
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word include
Random House Webster's College Dictionary
to contain or encompass as part of a whole:
The meal includes dessert and coffee.
to place as part of a category.
* Syn: include , comprehend , comprise , embrace imply containing parts of a whole. include means to contain as a part or member of a larger whole; it may indicate one, several, or all parts: This anthology includes works by Sartre and Camus. The price includes appetizer, main course, and dessert. comprehend means to have within the limits or scope of a larger whole: The plan comprehends several projects. comprise means to consist of; it usu. indicates all of the various parts serving to make up the whole: This genus comprises 50 species. embrace emphasizes the extent or assortment of that which is included: The report embraces many subjects.
Origin of include:
1375–1425; late ME < L inclūdere to shut in =in-in-2+claudere to shut (cf. close )
have as a part, be made up out of
"The list includes the names of many famous writers"
consider as part of something
"I include you in the list of culprits"
add as part of something else; put in as part of a set, group, or category
"We must include this chemical element in the group"
admit, let in, include(verb)
allow participation in or the right to be part of; permit to exercise the rights, functions, and responsibilities of
"admit someone to the profession"; "She was admitted to the New Jersey Bar"
Kernerman English Learner's Dictionary
to contain or have sth as one of its parts
This pack does not include batteries.; This is the price not including taxes.
They never include us in their conversations.; It's difficult to include all the students in the class.
A piece of source code or other content that is dynamically retrieved for inclusion in another item.
To bring into a group, class, set, or total as a (new) part or member.
I will purchase the vacation package if you will include car rental.
To contain, as parts of a whole.
The vacation package includes car rental.
To enclose, confine.
Origin: (1420) From includere, from in- + claudere.
to confine within; to hold; to contain; to shut up; to inclose; as, the shell of a nut includes the kernel; a pearl is included in a shell
to comprehend or comprise, as a genus the species, the whole a part, an argument or reason the inference; to contain; to embrace; as, this volume of Shakespeare includes his sonnets; he was included in the invitation to the family; to and including page twenty-five
to conclude; to end; to terminate
The New Hacker's Dictionary
[Usenet] 1. To duplicate a portion (or whole) of another's message (typically with attribution to the source) in a reply or followup, for clarifying the context of one's response. See the discussion of inclusion styles under Hacker Writing Style. 2. [from C] #include <disclaimer.h> has appeared in sig blocks to refer to a notional standard disclaimer file.
British National Corpus
Spoken Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'include' in Spoken Corpus Frequency: #607
Written Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'include' in Written Corpus Frequency: #1844
Rank popularity for the word 'include' in Verbs Frequency: #57
Translations for include
Kernerman English Multilingual Dictionary
to take in or consider along with (other people, things etc) as part of a group, set etc
Am I included in the team?; Your duties include making the tea.
- يَشْمَل، يَشتَمِلArabic
- incluirPortuguese (BR)
- inkludere; tage med; indbefatteDanish
- kaasa arvama, sisaldamaEstonian
- شامل بودنFarsi
- inclure, comprendreFrench
- לְהָכִיל, לִכלוֹלHebrew
- सम्मिलित करनाHindi
- uključiti, uključivatiCroatian
- benne van; tartalmaz; be(le)veszHungarian
- telja meðIcelandic
- includere, comprendereItalian
- ietvert; iekļautLatvian
- opnemen, bevattenDutch
- medregne, omfatte, inkludereNorwegian
- شامل بودنPersian
- شامل وهPashto
- a include, a cuprindeRomanian
- zahrnúť (do), zahŕňať, obsahovaťSlovak
- innefatta, inkludera, omfattaSwedish
- dahil etmekTurkish
- 包括Chinese (Trad.)
- містити в собі, охоплюватиUkrainian
- شامل ہوناUrdu
- bao gồmVietnamese
- 包括Chinese (Simp.)
Get even more translations for include »
Find a translation for the include definition in other languages:
Select another language: