Definitions for immediatelyɪˈmi di ɪt li
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word immediately
Random House Webster's College Dictionary
im•me•di•ate•ly*ɪˈmi di ɪt li(adv.)
without lapse of time; at once.
with no object or space intervening.
immediately in the vicinity.
without intervening medium or agent.
(conj.)the moment that; as soon as.
* Syn: immediately , instantly , directly , presently were once close synonyms, all denoting complete absence of delay or any lapse of time. immediately and instantly still almost always have that sense and usu. mean at once: He got up immediately. She responded instantly to the request.directly is usu. equivalent to soon, in a little while rather than at once: You go ahead, we'll join you directly.presently changes sense according to the tense of the verb with which it is used. With a present tense verb it usu. means now, at the present time: The author presently lives in San Francisco. She is presently working on a new novel. In some contexts, esp. those involving a contrast between the present and the near future, presently can mean soon or in a little while: She is at the office now but will be home presently.
Origin of immediately:
immediately, instantly, straightaway, straight off, directly, now, right away, at once, forthwith, like a shot(adverb)
without delay or hesitation; with no time intervening
"he answered immediately"; "found an answer straightaway"; "an official accused of dishonesty should be suspended forthwith"; "Come here now!"
near or close by
"he passed immediately behind her"
bearing an immediate relation
"this immediately concerns your future"
Kernerman English Learner's Dictionary
immediately(adverb)ɪˈmi di ɪt li
now, without delay
The doctor came immediately.
immediatelyɪˈmi di ɪt li
very near in time or space
Measure your heart rate immediately before and after exercise.; Our store is immediately next to the post office.
In an immediate manner; instantly or without delay.
I hope we can begin immediately.
in an immediate manner; without intervention of any other person or thing; proximately; directly; -- opposed to mediately; as, immediately contiguous
without interval of time; without delay; promptly; instantly; at once
as soon as. Cf. Directly, 8, Note
Translations for immediately
Kernerman English Multilingual Dictionary
He answered immediately.
- حالا، فَوْراArabic
- imediatamentePortuguese (BR)
- omgående; med det sammeDanish
- فوراً؛ مستقیماًFarsi
- dengan seketikaIndonesian
- tuojau pat, nedelsiantLithuanian
- tūlīt; nekavējoties; tiešiLatvian
- dengan segeraMalay
- straks,øyeblikkelig, omgåendeNorwegian
- فوراً؛ مستقیماًPersian
- سم دلاسه ، په بيړه ، بلاحوصلهPashto
- omedelbart, omgåendeSwedish
- derhal, hemenTurkish
- 馬上Chinese (Trad.)
- негайно, невідкладноUkrainian
- ngay lập tứcVietnamese
- 立即Chinese (Simp.)
Get even more translations for immediately »
Find a translation for the immediately definition in other languages:
Select another language: