complex number, complex quantity, imaginary number, imaginary(adj)
(mathematics) a number of the form a+bi where a and b are real numbers and i is the square root of -1
fanciful, imaginary, notional(adj)
not based on fact; unreal
"the falsehood about some fanciful secret treaties"- F.D.Roosevelt; "a small child's imaginary friends"; "to create a notional world for oneself"
An imaginary quantity.
existing only in the imagination
of a number, having no real part; that part of a complex number which is a multiple of the square root of -1.
Origin: From imaginarius, from imago.
existing only in imagination or fancy; not real; fancied; visionary; ideal
an imaginary expression or quantity
The numerical value of imaginary in Chaldean Numerology is: 1
The numerical value of imaginary in Pythagorean Numerology is: 7
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
Don't let us make imaginary evils, when you know we have so many real ones to encounter.
No one has yet computed how many imaginary triumphs are silently celebrated by people each year to keep up their courage.
In their imaginary world, 60 million tons of capacity will go offline this year, then another 125 million tons of capacity will go out of commission next year.
Happiness is an imaginary condition, formerly often attributed by the living to the dead, now usually attributed by adults to children, and by children to adults.
The EPA is in a real bind, congress wrote a law mandating imaginary fuels. These have failed to materialize in any quantity. Congress tried to codify wishful thinking.
Images & Illustrations of imaginary
Translations for imaginary
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- imaginêr, denkbeeldigAfrikaans
- imaginariCatalan, Valencian
- imaginární, pomyslnýCzech
- imaginær, fantasi-Danish
- imaginär, eingebildetGerman
- kuvitteellinen, imaginaarinen, imaginaari-Finnish
- samhlaitheach, samhlaithe, samhailteachIrish
- mac-meanmnachScottish Gaelic
- imaginárius, képzetes, képzeletbeliHungarian
- khayalan, khayal, imajinerIndonesian
- imaginita, fiktiva, imaginalaIdo
- imaginarius, phantasticusLatin
- iedomāts, imaginārsLatvian
- denkbeeldig, imaginairDutch
- zmyślony, urojonaPolish
- мнимый, вымышленный, воображаемыйRussian
- -a kubuniSwahili
Get even more translations for imaginary »
Find a translation for the imaginary definition in other languages:
Select another language: