Definitions for illiterateɪˈlɪt ər ɪt
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word illiterate
illiterate, illiterate person, nonreader(adj)
a person unable to read
not able to read or write
uneducated in the fundamentals of a given art or branch of learning; lacking knowledge of a specific field
"she is ignorant of quantum mechanics"; "he is musically illiterate"
lacking culture, especially in language and literature
an illiterate person, one not able to read.
Unable to read and write.
Having less than an expected standard of familiarity with language and literature, or having little formal education.
Not conforming to prescribed standards of speech or writing.
Origin: Recorded in English since 1556, from illitteratus 'unlearned, ignorant', itself from in- 'un-' + litteratus, literally "furnished with letters" (from littera 'letter, character')
ignorant of letters or books; unlettered; uninstructed; uneducated; as, an illiterate man, or people
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
A good book for an illiterate is a golden ring for a fingerless hand!
We are illiterate farmers; we seek advice from the vendor and just spray on the crop.
I want to become a teacher like him and do the same, had I not met him, I would have remained illiterate.
The illiterate of the future will not be the person who cannot read. It will be the person who does not know how to learn.
Very little is known of the Canadian country since it is rarely visited by anyone but the Queen and illiterate sport fishermen.
Images & Illustrations of illiterate
Translations for illiterate
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- analfabet, illetratCatalan, Valencian
- analphabetisch, Analphabet, ungelehrt, ungebildet, AnalphabetinGerman
- αναλφάβητος, αγράμματοςGreek
- analfabeto, iletradoSpanish
- sivistymätön, lukutaidoton, kouluja käymätönFinnish
- analphabète, illettré, illettréeFrench
- műveletlen, analfabéta, írástudatlan, tanulatlanHungarian
- analfabeta, illetteratoItalian
- 非識字者, 文盲Japanese
- nexwendewar, نهخوێندهوار, nexwendaKurdish
- ongeletterd, analfabeet, ongeletterdeDutch
- analfabetka, niepiśmienny, analfabetaPolish
- analfabet, anaflabetăRomanian
- неграмотный, невежественный, безграмотныйRussian
- obildad, analfabetisk, analfabet, illitteratSwedish
Get even more translations for illiterate »
Find a translation for the illiterate definition in other languages:
Select another language: