Definitions for identifyaɪˈdɛn təˌfaɪ, ɪˈdɛn-
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word identify
recognize as being; establish the identity of someone or something
"She identified the man on the 'wanted' poster"
give the name or identifying characteristics of; refer to by name or some other identifying characteristic property
"Many senators were named in connection with the scandal"; "The almanac identifies the auspicious months"
consider (oneself) as similar to somebody else
"He identified with the refugees"
conceive of as united or associated
"Sex activity is closely identified with the hypothalamus"
identify, discover, key, key out, distinguish, describe, name(verb)
identify as in botany or biology, for example
consider to be equal or the same
"He identified his brother as one of the fugitives"
To coalesce in interest, purpose, use, effect, etc.; to associate oneself in name, goals, or feelings; usually used with with; as, he identified with the grief she felt at her father's death.
To establish the identity of someone or something.
To establish the taxonomic classification of an organism.
To equate two or more things.
To have a strong affinity with; to feel oneself to be modelled on or connected to.
To associate oneself with some group.
To claim an identity; to describe oneself as a member of a group; to assert the use of a particular term to describe oneself.
To map a number of points to one.
Origin: From identifier, from + facio.
to make to be the same; to unite or combine in such a manner as to make one; to treat as being one or having the same purpose or effect; to consider as the same in any relation
to establish the identity of; to prove to be the same with something described, claimed, or asserted; as, to identify stolen property
to become the same; to coalesce in interest, purpose, use, effect, etc
Origin: [Cf. F. identifier. See Identity, and -fy.]
"Identify" is a pop–ballad written by Billy Corgan and performed by Natalie Imbruglia for the soundtrack to the film Stigmata. The track was released as a single from the soundtrack on 22 March 1999. The single was only released promotionally, and was therefore ineligible to chart. The track also appears on the Taiwanese edition of Imbruglia's debut studio album Left of the Middle, and later as a bonus track on the Japanese version of her greatest hits compilation, Glorious: The Singles 1997-2007.
British National Corpus
Spoken Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'identify' in Spoken Corpus Frequency: #2095
Written Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'identify' in Written Corpus Frequency: #2299
Rank popularity for the word 'identify' in Verbs Frequency: #172
Images & Illustrations of identify
Translations for identify
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- апазна́ць, апазнава́цьBelarusian
- identificar-se, identificarCatalan, Valencian
- gleichsetzen, identifizierenGerman
- identificar, identificarseSpanish
- samaistaa, tunnistaa, samastaa, samaistua, samastua, identifioidaFinnish
- s'identifier à, identifierFrench
- comharraichScottish Gaelic
- idantifyeHaitian Creole
- изедначува, идентификува, препознава, поистоветуваMacedonian
- identificeren, determinerenDutch
- identifisere seg, identifisereNorwegian Nynorsk
- identifisere, identifisere segNorwegian
- [[identificar]]-[[se]], identificarPortuguese
- идентифицировать, отождествить, отождествиться, отождествлять, отождествляться, идентифицироваться, опознать, солидаризироваться, опознаватьRussian
- поистоветити, poistovetitiSerbo-Croatian
- identifiera, identifiera sigSwedish
Get even more translations for identify »
Find a translation for the identify definition in other languages:
Select another language: