Definitions for identificationaɪˌdɛn tə fɪˈkeɪ ʃən, ɪˌdɛn-
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word identification
the act of designating or identifying something
evidence of identity; something that identifies a person or thing
the condition of having the identity (of a person or object) established
"the thief's identification was followed quickly by his arrest"; "identification of the gun was an important clue"
the process of recognizing something or someone by remembering
"a politician whose recall of names was as remarkable as his recognition of faces"; "experimental psychologists measure the elapsed time from the onset of the stimulus to its recognition by the observer"
the attribution to yourself (consciously or unconsciously) of the characteristics of another person (or group of persons)
The act of identifying, or proving to be the same.
Much education and experience is required for proper identification of bird species
The state of being identified.
A particular instance of identifying something.
information necessary to make a good identification
A document or documents serving as evidence of a person's identity.
The authorities asked for his identification
A feeling of support, sympathy, understanding or belonging towards somebody or something.
the act of identifying, or proving to be the same; also, the state of being identified
Origin: [Cf. F. identification.]
Dictionary of Military and Associated Terms
1. The process of determining the friendly or hostile character of an unknown detected contact. 2. In arms control, the process of determining which nation is responsible for the detected violations of any arms control measure. 3. In ground combat operations, discrimination between recognizable objects as being friendly or enemy, or the name that belongs to the object as a member of a class. Also called ID.
British National Corpus
Spoken Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'identification' in Spoken Corpus Frequency: #4098
Rank popularity for the word 'identification' in Nouns Frequency: #1669
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
It's just a matter of identification.
It is a defining moment for self-identification.
It was caused by a failure of identification. There will be an inquiry.
The identification was done without authorization. It was illegal and invalid.
It's definitely a step forward for the families, and having identification is huge.
Images & Illustrations of identification
Translations for identification
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- identificacióCatalan, Valencian
- identifikace, průkaz totožnosti, ztotožněníCzech
- شناسنامه, شناسایی, کارت شناساییPersian
- henkilötodistus, tunnistaminenFinnish
- pièce d'identité, identificationFrench
- identifikaasjeWestern Frisian
- aithneachadhScottish Gaelic
- препознавање, лична карта, поистоветувањеMacedonian
- identificação, identidadePortuguese
- идентифика́ция, отождествле́ние, опознава́ние, опозна́ниеRussian
Get even more translations for identification »
Find a translation for the identification definition in other languages:
Select another language:
Discuss these identification definitions with the community:
Word of the Day
Would you like us to send you a FREE new word definition delivered to your inbox daily?
Use the citation below to add this definition to your bibliography:
"identification." Definitions.net. STANDS4 LLC, 2016. Web. 9 Feb. 2016. <http://www.definitions.net/definition/identification>.