hover, vibrate, vacillate, oscillate(verb)
be undecided about something; waver between conflicting positions or courses of action
"He oscillates between accepting the new position and retirement"
move to and fro
"The shy student lingered in the corner"
hang in the air; fly or be suspended above
be suspended in the air, as if in defiance of gravity
"The guru claimed that he could levitate"
brood, hover, loom, bulk large(verb)
hang over, as of something threatening, dark, or menacing
"The terrible vision brooded over her all day long"
To float in the air.
To linger in one place.
To waver, or be uncertain.
To place the cursor over a hyperlink or icon without clicking.
Origin: hoveren (frequentative of hoven).
a cover; a shelter; a protection
to hang fluttering in the air, or on the wing; to remain in flight or floating about or over a place or object; to be suspended in the air above something
to hang about; to move to and fro near a place, threateningly, watchfully, or irresolutely
Origin: [OE. hoveren, and hoven, prob. orig., to abide, linger, and fr. AS. hof house; cf. OFries. hovia to receive into one's house. See Hovel.]
Chambers 20th Century Dictionary
hov′ėr, v.i. to remain aloft flapping the wings: to wait in suspense: to move about near.—adv. Hov′eringly, in a hovering manner. [Formed from A.S. hof, house.]
The numerical value of hover in Chaldean Numerology is: 7
The numerical value of hover in Pythagorean Numerology is: 5
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
I get some amazing photos with it, with a drone, you can hover three feet above the steeple and get a picture you can't get any other way.
Were all thy fond endeavours vain To chase away the sufferer?s smart, Still hover near, lest absence pain
His lonely heart.
Our second-generation hover engines which power Hendo 2.0 are stronger, more efficient, and open up new possibilities for the way we transport objects and people.
It broke the pattern in the past few days and was able to hover above the level of the previous close, thanks to improved sentiment in the overseas markets following Morgan Stanley's full house buy alert on the global market.
Do not hover always on the surface of things, nor take up suddenly, with mere appearances but penetrate into the depth of matters, as far as your time and circumstances allow, especially in those things which relate to your profession.
Images & Illustrations of hover
Translations for hover
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- vznášet seCzech
- zögern, platzieren, schweben, verweilenGerman
- dudar, hesitar, colocar el cursor sobre un enlace, levitar, vacilar, revolotear, flotarSpanish
- leijua, kohdistaa, kursori, häilyä, olla kahden vaiheilla, leijailla, norkoilla, epäröidäFinnish
- planer, placer le curseur au-dessus d'un hyperlien, faire du sur-place, hésiter, flotterFrench
- flotar, dubidarGalician
- volteggiare, attardarsi, essere in bilico, indugiare, essere indeciso, passare il cursore sopra, essere sospeso, librarsi, gironzolare, aggirarsi, pencolare, ronzare intorno, esitareItalian
- oversveve, hoverNorwegian
- wahać sięPolish
- hesitar, pairar, voltear, flutuarPortuguese
- pluti, oscila, plasa cursorul peste link, planareRomanian
- реять, порхать, парить, вертеться, слоняться, колебаться, нависать, мешкать, витать, болтаться, зависатьRussian
- лебдети, lebdetiSerbo-Croatian
- bay lượnVietnamese
Get even more translations for hover »
Find a translation for the hover definition in other languages:
Select another language: