Definitions for honehoʊn
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word hone
a whetstone made of fine gritstone; used for sharpening razors
sharpen with a hone
"hone a knife"
make perfect or complete
"perfect your French in Paris!"
to render more precise or more effective; as, to hone one's skills.
A sharpening stone composed of extra-fine grit used for removing the burr or curl from the blade of a razor or some other edge tool.
A machine tool used in the manufacture of precision bores.
To sharpen with a hone.
To use a hone to produce a precision bore.
To refine or master (a skill).
To make more acute, intense, or effective.
Origin: From hon ‘whetstone’, from han, from hainō (compare Dutch heen, Norwegian hein), from ḱeh₃i- ‘to sharpen’ (compare Greek κώνος ‘cone’, Persian ‘whetstone’).
to pine; to lament; to long
a kind of swelling in the cheek
a stone of a fine grit, or a slab, as of metal, covered with an abrading substance or powder, used for sharpening cutting instruments, and especially for setting razors; an oilstone
to sharpen on, or with, a hone; to rub on a hone in order to sharpen; as, to hone a razor
Origin: [Cf. Icel. hn a knob.]
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
They've really tried to hone the universality of the film.
They simply have more time to understand and hone their craft without worrying about work, bills, and the rent which could potentially inflate the number of young, experimental hackers.
Athletes spend the most vigorous years of human life, arguably called the ‘ best years ’, working to hone their abilities, i ’m grateful and thankful to the IAAF( governing body) for excellent competitions, the canvases that allow us to display our work.
You know, if he becomes the nominee, he'll have to sort of hone his criticisms a little more finely because the facts will be easy to marshal, but you know, he's good at this, that's what he does. And the people that he is telling it to now basically have only heard that story, so they believe it and it's probably good politics for him.
Translations for hone
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- esmoladoraCatalan, Valencian
- brousit, ostřit, brus, pilovat, bruska, brousek, vybrousit, nabrousit, naostřitCzech
- ausfeilen, Wetzstein, feinschleifen, ziehschleifen, Schleifstein, honen, ausschleifenGerman
- afilar, muela, aguzadera, asperón, amolar, amoladera, afiladera, aguzarSpanish
- hoonata, hoonaustyökalu, hioa, liippakivi, liipataFinnish
- perfectionner, aiguiserFrench
- affinare, molare, mola, arrotare, affilare, coteItalian
- 砥石, とぐJapanese
- kalibreren, slijpen, scherp maken, aanzetten, verfijnenDutch
- хон, точильный камень, хонинговать, точить, брусок, оселок, затачивать, оттачиватьRussian
- brynsten, slipa, finslipa, skärpa, bryne, brynaSwedish
Get even more translations for hone »
Find a translation for the hone definition in other languages:
Select another language: