Definitions for hithertoˈhɪð ərˌtu
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word hitherto
so far, thus far, up to now, hitherto, heretofore, as yet, yet, til now, until now(adverb)
used in negative statement to describe a situation that has existed up to this point or up to the present time
"So far he hasn't called"; "the sun isn't up yet"
Up to this or that time.
The Wright Brothers flew the first successful manned, powered and controlled aircraft in 1903, a feat which hitherto had not been accomplished, except by Santos-Dumont.
to this place; to a prescribed limit
up to this time; as yet; until now
British National Corpus
Rank popularity for the word 'hitherto' in Adverbs Frequency: #340
The numerical value of hitherto in Chaldean Numerology is: 6
The numerical value of hitherto in Pythagorean Numerology is: 4
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
I believe that a man is converted when first he hears the low, vast murmur of life, of human life, troubling his hitherto unconscious self.
Iran absolutely has world class mining assets, which have hitherto been shrouded from investors, but we're in the depths of one of the darkest, worst downturns in mining for some time.
If thou desirest ease in this life, keep thy secrets undisclosed, like the modest rosebud. Take warning from that lovely flower, which, by expanding its hitherto hidden beauties when in full bloom, gives its leaves and its happiness to the winds.
Altered opinions do not alter a man's character (or do so very little); but they do illuminate individual aspects of the constellation of his personality which with a different constellation of opinions had hitherto remained dark and unrecognizable.
We are living now, not in the delicious intoxication induced by the early successes of science, but in a rather grisly morning-after, when it has become apparent that what triumphant science has done hitherto is to improve the means for achieving unimproved or actually deteriorated ends.
Images & Illustrations of hitherto
Translations for hitherto
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- حتى الآنArabic
- až dosud, doposudCzech
- bisher, bislang, bis dato, bis dahinGerman
- hasta este momento, hasta ahora, en ese entonces, hasta aquíSpanish
- aiemmin, sitä ennen, tähän mennessä, siihen mennessäFinnish
- jusqu'à maintenant, jusqu'ici, jusqu'à présent, jusqu'alorsFrench
- thuige seoScottish Gaelic
- עד כהHebrew
- eddig, addigHungarian
- これまでのところ, 今まで, これまでJapanese
- illatenus, hactenus, hucusque, adhūcLatin
- tot dusverre, tot dusver, tot dan toe, tot nu toe, tot hiertoeDutch
- dotąd, dotychczasPolish
- [[até]] [[agora]]/[[então]]Portuguese
- până în acest moment, până acumRomanian
- до сих пор, доныне, на настоящий момент, поднесь, прежде, на данный момент, пока, пока чтоRussian
- dòsada, dòtad, dòsad, dòtadaSerbo-Croatian
- do zdajSlovene
- hittills, dittillsSwedish
- ఇప్పటివరకు, అప్పటివరకుTelugu
- o ana kadarTurkish
- اب تکUrdu
Get even more translations for hitherto »
Find a translation for the hitherto definition in other languages:
Select another language: